Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Kickers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Kickers

Just want some general opinions on what kicker subs are better? the kicker 12 comps or kicker 12 Duals? thanks

Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Kicker Comp (single voice coil) are the entry level subs. The Comp VR feature dual voice coils and better overall construciton, power handling, etc. Comp VR are a step up from the Comp both in performance and price.

Maybe by "Dual" you meant "Square"? The square kicker subs have larger cone area (for same dimensional size) and thus more output. If output levels were matched, i doubt you'll year a difference between round vs. square, for the majority of applications. for high end SQ systems in specific installations, i believe there is an audible difference. Personally, i run round subs, and (probably) always will.

When choosing a subwoofer and voice coil configuration and impedance, you need to take the amplifier powering the sub(s) into consideration for both power output and impedance load. Determine what impedance load the amplifier can operate at, and choose a sub configuration that acheives that impedance load (be it SVC or DVC). Rockford Fostage and the12volt.com have woofer wiring wizards on their websites that lets you see different voice coil wiring diagrams.