Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Question Mod Question

So i tried to research this before posting, but i really couldn't find much. Hopefully someone will be willing to help or direct me in the right direction (and not just say google it).

I wanted to change the stock radio to an in-dash Navi/Radio (basically a touch screen). I've seen that this is possible with a pioneer radio called Avic-XXX. I know that there are a lot of Radio/Navigation Systems out there, how do I know which one fits my car? I've also trying to figure out terms that are used. I was seeing that their may be a head unit kit that i could just buy (maybe?...i don't know)...lol

fyi - i'm very tech savvy with computers just havent got into the car realm and just a little confused which direction to go.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Supper Moderator

you can use just about any unit you want as long as it fits in the hole in your dash.
Yes they make dash kits for your car...it also helps when we know what gen and trim accord you have...

Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 AM

shucks!...I definitely meant to tell you guys that. i just got flustered making sure i said what i needed to. regardless, i drive a 1999 honda accord ex coupe.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Awesome model......lol I have a Pioneer AVHDVD4100 in mine(Its not the nav unit but its the exact same size)......the nav unit pioneer makes is pretty awsome. And it will fit(7in display double din unit)...you shouldnt need a kit because it will fit right in. i have pics in my garage of the unit....But g22cd5 is right just about any model will fit i love pioneer me and my family has used it for years. I havent had anytrouble out of mine....Kenwood makes a nice nav unit also Sony makes a cool one too if you got the money. The install is fairly easy aswell. But remember that you get what you pay for.....

Last edited by Mr.Project8; 08-04-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Supper Moderator

its all good. Keep hope alive should chim in this is what he does is audio..lol

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Mr.Project...that's basically exactly what i'm looking for. I kind of wanted a CD/DVD Player but it's not really necessary that i don't use my current CD Player and always just hookup my iPod....but anyway...

Next Question...so i realize that a lot of these units say GPS - Ready or Bluetooth - Ready. Does that mean you have to purchase a module to use these features? If so i've did some research on them and the GPS modules can be quite pricey. So i was wondering if it is possible to just buy a regular GPS and hook it up to the unit and use that instead of purchasing the module?

guess i should have said questions...lol

Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Supper Moderator

if they say "ready" that means you need to buy something to make it work. I just use my $70 Garmin it does the job just fine
I don't think you can wire a GPS into anything. I think the hand helds is what you get nothing more. But I’m not 100% sure someone else should chime in and help out.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM

dang!...those modules are expensive...but guess i'll wait to see what others say...

Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

i'll have to get to this later tonight...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I was gonna answer but it looks like we've got a professional in the house so my assistance isnt necessary....lol However..There are double Din units that You can connect GPS units to....but there not touch screen and your better off staying away from those. lol Besides i think there discontinued anyway. But like i said the pro probably have better answers than me....

Quick Reply: Mod Question