Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Navigation system in 91 Accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/navigation-system-91-accord-20963/)

el_espiritu 09-29-2008 09:09 AM

Navigation system in 91 Accord

Hi folks,

I want to build in a navigation system in my 91' Accord Sedan. It's a DIN Radio with included navigation from Becker.
Now I read that the system requires a speed signal from tachometer. Does someone knows if there's a wire available which provides this signal? Or do I need an additional transmitter/sensor?

Maybe someone has already a navigation system in his 4th generation accord?

finch13 09-29-2008 09:12 AM

RE: Navigation system in 91 Accord

There should be a blue wire running from the distributor to the tach for RPMs.

el_espiritu 09-29-2008 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: finch13

There should be a blue wire running from the distributor to the tach for RPMs.
Hmm, but I don't need the RPM signal, I need a kind of speed signal. (And I have a manual transmission).

finch13 09-29-2008 09:49 AM

Oh you wrote tach... um what does the navi manual say? I know that wire is just so it can tell if you're driving or not and I know there's a way of bypassing it.

el_espiritu 09-29-2008 10:31 AM

The manual says that the system requires a speed signal from the speedo cable.
But this is a manual spindle in these old Accord models. But maybe there is a cable anywhere else which provides this signal.

falkore24 09-29-2008 10:40 AM

As noted, it's likely just so that you can't operate the navi when you are driving ..... my Garmin just plugs into the lighter, so I doubt that the VSS is necessary for it to tell you where you are going.

el_espiritu 10-09-2008 10:08 AM

Hmm OK, I understand what you meant.
But let's assume it's necessary, BECKER claimed that a navigation without speed signal is not possible.
The 91 Accord has a speed sensor in the transmission for speed based power steering. And additionally it has a electrical signal there.
Has anybody an idea what kind of signal this plug provides? And more important, which cable is the needed one?

I checked the service manual from Honda but couldn't find any troubleshooting on the speed sensor.

t00fatt 10-09-2008 12:22 PM

Have u Googled for a bypas unit for this model? When you hook this wire up, your going to lose certain functions while moving, it's a stupid safety feature. So your best option is to find a bypass code or a bypass unit, or you can work hard and hook this wire up only for it to mock you while you drive.

19Accord97 10-09-2008 10:44 PM

Yeah, I got a bypass unit off eBay for my touchscreen so I can watch dvd's while the car is in motion. Funny thing is....I've only ever had a dvd in there once. The day I put the stereo in! lol