Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need help whith subs and amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Default Need help whith subs and amp

hi iam new to this form because i just got a 1990 honda accord
i am looking for the best setup for this car something that pounds clear and fairly cheap i want to no what kind of amp to buy iam leaning to a sony 1000W is this good for two tens? and i was wondering how to hook my amp up to my speakers ?and what are the best speakers? and the best subs?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

sony is not good for anything. best is up to personal preference. my thoughts are however if you were looking into sony you are not willing to spend the money it costs to get the best.

a 1000 watt by sony i am assuming will be 200 rms watts and 2 ohm stable. so the amp would be good for two tens that were 100 rms each and 4 ohm single voice coil. just thought i would throw that out there to say the answer is a little bit more complicated than your question makes it seem.

give us a budget and we can help more.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. If Walmart sells it, you don't want it. .

Do you have an aftermarket head unit?

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 04-07-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM

ya i only know a bit about this stuff preety much what ive learned from friends price range in under 500 and yen i have a pioneer head unit and i am prety limited on what i buy

Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scott0222
ya i only know a bit about this stuff preety much what ive learned from friends price range in under 500 and yen i have a pioneer head unit and i am prety limited on what i buy
Model number on the head unit? Can you buy/shop online? Buy used?

Web forums like this section and SoundDomain have a wealth of information. My build log has a ton of install pictures.

you need the following:
Amp for subs
Subs
Box
Amp wiring kit

A 4awg kit is a good size for your budget. Go with brand name kits like RF, JL, Sreeetwires, Stinger, Kicker, etc.

For subs and an amp, RF, Kicker, Powerbass, MTX, Kenwood are all reliable and affordable.

Boxes are best and cheapest if homemade to the sub specs and vehicle dimensions.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM

i dont know the model of it sorry and yes i can buy online i want to know how big of an amp i need and what sup to get 2 tens or 1-12 ported or not? how big of a box? and if i can wire a smaller amp to my speakers (power logic amp 360) ps iam changing the door speakers

Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

build/buy box per sub manufacturer.

take your budget.
subtract 4awg amp kit.
remainder is 1/2 sub/box and 1/2 amp (approx).
your budget determines how much power you can afford. don't expect more than 600W RMS. ignore peak power ratings (like that Sony).

assuming you can get a 4 awg amp kit for $60, you have about $440. Look for buy one get one sales - like Kicker or JBL.

or maybe a kit like this:
600W Kicker Subwoofers + Infinity Amplifier Bass Bundle + Amp Kit

or this

600W Kicker Competion Comp Subs + JBL Amp Bass Bundle + Amp Kit

or this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-TNP212D2.html

Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM

so i should run two twelves and a 600 w amp what is peak W and rms W

Last edited by scott0222; 04-08-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:42 PM

knukoncepts.com makes excellent wire for a good price. a 8 guage kit including fuse and rca cables is only 29.00 and they go up from there.

rms is the wattage that is needed to run the speaker. peak is the maximum amount hat the device can handle according to the manufacturers. some manufacturers way over shoot max and some under but it really doesnt mean all that much.

you will need to match ohms too. my advice is decide on subs before the amp and then match or just go ahead and get a amp that can handle 1 ohm and you should be good for most subs. but either way i find it easier to match an amp to subs than to match subs to an amp.

if you go ported on the box no that you will need a subsonic filter on your amp so that you do not blow your subs. also ported boxes require more air space than sealed. you need to decide how much space you are willing to give up. then do research on air space required for the subs you want. the mounting depth of the subs. xmax and cone size has a lot to do with spl. if you want it loud look for subs that have a high xmax and the bigger the louder ( generally speaking). if you want sound quality you really want to read reviews and listen to as many as you can. i dont know of any specific ratings that give an indication of sq.

and to answer your question about running a 600 watt. if you are running a single sub at 600 watts or 2 300 watt subs than yes you would want a 600 watt amp. if you are running something higher on subs you need a bigger amp.

i always suggest running higher wattage on the amp. i dont like running anything at its max. just because it will doesnt mean it should. also you will want to see what voltage the amp was tested out. if it is at 11.9 you will be fine. if it is rated at 14.4 then you will want to make sure you are getting 14.4 output. most cars do but if it is rated at 14.4 and you are running at 12 something you wont get the same out put. if you just get an amp rated say 100 watts higher than what is needed you wont have to worry about voltage output. again another reason i recomend going a little bigger on the amp. if you go bigger on the amp you will just have to practie some self control and not turn it up higher than needed.

Last edited by neophyte; 04-08-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
build/buy box per sub manufacturer.

take your budget.
subtract 4awg amp kit.
remainder is 1/2 sub/box and 1/2 amp (approx).
your budget determines how much power you can afford. don't expect more than 600W RMS. ignore peak power ratings (like that Sony).

assuming you can get a 4 awg amp kit for $60, you have about $440.
there are some cheaper options on amps. i run a lanzar amp most people will say not to do this. the problem with cheap amps is that they can over heat and start clipping lower than you would expect. they are highly overated. i run a 2000 watt amp when i only need 800 watts at 2 ohms. what this means is that according to the manufacturer i am not really pushing this amp. i am however pushing this amp pretty hard. it may burn up quickly but i got a good deal on it and i can get another deal on another. sometimes cheap brands are all right you just have to know what to look for and know that it may not last as long as some others. hen ou would have to decide if you are willing to replace an amp often or if you want it to last forever. i would not suggest going lanzar as they are really cheap (like i said amazing deal) but powerbass puts out a decent amp relatively cheap and so does sound storm.

edit: just want to state a disclamer for everybody who reads this. i was not correcting kha. i was simply referencing what he said as it was not the last post and i didnt want this to be random.

Last edited by neophyte; 04-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help whith subs and amp