Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need ideas on powered subwoofer install 09

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Need ideas on powered subwoofer install 09

I am wondering about putting a subwoofer in my 09 Accord 4dr EX. Thinking of getting a powered subwoofer in the trunk for a little extra bass. Nothing crazy to blow the windows out just some deep end. Thanks for the advice. Maybe like a 8 inch bazooka or similiar. How would I install and I can use tools since I work on helicopters.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm not really sure what to say on this one. Some people are satisfied with these small subs, and others are left disappointed. I would recommend hearing one installed before making the decision. They really aren't very loud at all, and don't sound that great. Those powered subs come with tiny amps, and not the best quality subs. Unless your on a tight budget I'd really recommend going with a small 8" or 10" and a separate amp. An 8" JL W3 or even a 10" alpine type-r I think is really what your looking for. It's really not a lot of bass but will sound better. If you want subwoofer perfection you can't go wrong with a 10" W7, just is a bit pricey and may be a bit too much bass.

As for the install, a powered sub is no different than a regular set up. The process is somewhat long to explain, and there are a bunch of tutorials online. Search for "amp installation" in your accord generation. Even if you can't find one for a 8th gen, the install is virtually the same in any car.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So it would be easier to install an amp in the trunk and run wires to a boxed 8" subwoofer? I am only looking to increase the bottom end with some bass just more than the factory small speakers can. In the EX back where the speakers are held there is the factory install slot for the factory subwoofer that comes in the EXL. Should I just try to get one of those or are they just for show with little or no bass projection? Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I really don't know anything about the stock location of the stock sub. I do know the stock subs are more like woofers than sub woofers, and don't get very loud and sound buzzy not boomy. I doubt this is the case but, if that location is set up for a true infinite baffle, you could run an IB sub in the stock location. How is the sub enclosed, does it go into a small box, or does the front of sub go into the cabin leaving the back in the trunk? If the case is the latter, and if the deck is sealed perfectly keeping the sound waves from the front of the sub and the rear of the sub completely isolated you can run an IB sub there. You may have to do some work to make sure the deck is solid and sealed well. An IB set up will give you great sound quality, and take up very little space. If this interests you do a google search on infinite baffle for a better explanation of what IB is lol.

The installation process of a power sub and regular sub and amp combo is identical, only difference is you have to run a short set of speaker wires to the sub. What is more time consuming, is running power and RCA's into the trunk, which needs to be done for both.

Even though your not looking for a lot of bass, I think you will be happeir with the better sound from a good sub and amp combo. A single 8" or 10" will not be that loud, but will be very nice filler bass.

If you really want to improve the sound, I really recommend getting a new radio or a JL clean sweep, a nice set of speakers and an amp. And you will have some killer sound, which you can do on a budget. The stock speakers are absolutely horrible, and I can't imagine anything sounding worse.