Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New front/ Rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Default New front/ Rear speakers

Ok so i finally installed my new panasonic head unit today, and am very happy with it but im dying for some new speakers. my friend can get me mtx speakers really cheap, so i was looking at these:

Rear deck:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0061760&catid=

Front door:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0061754&catid=

What do you guys think?? These will fit in my front door and rear deck ok right?? I have a 2002 accord coupe so i understand that i have 6 1/2s in the front doors and 6x9s in the rear deck??

Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM

im not sure of the mounting depth for the door speakers, but at 2 1/16" i think you'll be alright. at 100 watts rms, you need to get an amp for those 6x9's. i didnt look at the specs for the 6.5's but itd probably be best to amp those as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I can't say I've heard any MTX speakers, but I would imagine they are not the best, although ok. For just a bit extra money you can get very good quality speakers. Your going to HAVE to amp those speakers. If not they are going to sound muffled and not as good as they could. If you want to run speakers off the headunit you need speakers with a low RMS rating and a high sensitivity rating.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM

thanks for the advice. I realize I need an amp for those speakers and plan on getting an amp a little down the road, but for the time being would that setup be ok? Better than stock atleast??

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 AM

well if your dying for some new speakers you dont wanna waste your time wiring your speakers to the headunit. get a amp and due it all at once. plus 4 channel amps at about 300 watts are fairly cheap. no more than 100 bucks if you got some hook ups with speakers.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Your going to need more power than that. Your going to be spending about $200 to $300 on a amp for those speakers. I would give them at least 80w per channel. If you have a big pocket I'm in love with alpines new digital amps, but the 4 channel 100wx4 amp was close to $500. But that was the marine one so the car one may be cheaper. Until you amp them they are not going to sound very good, I' not even sure if I would say it's better than stock, but it will sound different. I just don't if I would call that better, they both will sound sub par.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM

I believe this is the one you want.

http://ikesound.com/alpine_pdx_4_150

That website is legit for ordering too. My friend got all of his audio stuff from there and one of our area audio installers uses them too. Warranty is from Ike Sound, not Alpine though, because they're not an authorized reseller.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM

I bought my CVRs from ikesound years ago, I think it was 05. They are good, but if you live in florida you have to pay tax as they are in florida. I hope that amp is in your price rage, there isn't much better than that amp right now.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 PM

yea its a bit more than i wanted to spend, but i might as well do it right, i realize how important an amp is. What do you guys think of the infinity reference speakers??

Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM

I actually hate infinity references, they are way to harsh and don't have that true music sound. If you listen to rock, you will definitely think they are harsh as well, you can kind of get away with them with rap as rap doesn't have that constant extreme high. I'm a big fan of the sound of JL speakers, you may be able to get the VRs for cheap as they discontinued them and replaced them with a cheap lower quality line. Now the C5s are the top silk series, before it was the VRs. They are so clear and bright, and nail the bass with no distrotion at any level.

Quick Reply: New front/ Rear speakers