Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

new mono amp

Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Default new mono amp

my amp is a mono block, but has 2 sets of speaker terminals. so i wired my 2 rockfords in parallel and only used one set of speaker terminals, pretending the other set just didnt exist i guess. well now the subs arent as loud or as clear as they were before. with my other amp, a 2 channel, the person who owned it last had it wired like the diagram below. is that wired in parallel? because the specs on my old amp doesnt show how many watts it is 2-ohms bridged. this amp is supposed to be 300 wattsx1 at 2 ohms and my old one only specified 250 watts x 1 at 4 ohms bridged

Attached Thumbnails new mono amp-wire.jpg  

Last edited by botang47; 03-17-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Um I don't think that can be a mono block with two set of terminals, I would bet good money that's a 2ch. What is the brand and model name? I'm having trouble really understanding what your saying, but I'm pretty stoned too.

I'm going to have no know for sure how many ohms your subs are, and the model name of your amp.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:33 PM

the amp is an infinity reference ref1300a and the subs are 4ohms. the 2 terminals really confuse me too, but they claim "there are two sets of terminals to make it easy to connect multiple woofers"

Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Ok after looking up the manual for the amp (If haven't done so already CLICK HERE). Yes those are just multiple terminals on a mono block, never seen that before. Since your subs are 4 ohms it's as simple as wiring a sub to each terminal, and your good to go.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM

and that will give a 2 ohm load?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM

Yes it will be 2 ohms

Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM

well after being completely baffled by why that new amp wouldnt work, i put the old amp back in and wired it like it was before i took it out. but now the subs still make that annoying "pop" instead of a "boom". why is this happening?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM

What do you mean pop? What do you have the crossover set to? Maybe it's too high. I hope the suspension isn't busted. I'm not even sure what a sub with a busted suspension sounds like, but I would imagine it would sound like a pop from bottoming out.

How did the infinity amp not work? Wasn't it working before? You may have damaged it running it like you did, but I don't think you did. I'm really unsure about this one man.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 PM

its so hard to explain the sound but its almost like a rattle inside the box.
i took the sub out of the box and when i saw the serial number, it turns out they are 8ohm subs as opposed to the 4ohms the person i bought it from said it was, which explains alot. so the infinity amp was underpowering at 4 ohms. i just dont know why its still "popping" now that ive hooked it all back up to how it was before =\

Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM

If it sounds like your box, then it may be a lose panel. Make sure you box has no leaks or loose panels. I'm really not going to be able to give good advice on this as I've never had a sub blow on me, so I can't say I know what it would sound like. Chances are it's your box or amp setting, make sure you have the crossover set to low pass, and they are not crossed any higher than 80hz.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new mono amp