Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New Speaker Help

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX with the factory head unit and a few weeks ago i decided to upgrade the rear deck speakers to a pair of Alpine SPR-69's. So far the sound quality hasn't really been all that much better than stock so I was wondering if I should install a new head unit, thinking that this will take full advantage of the new speakers. I found this kit Honda Accord Kit 2003-up, chassis size E at Crutchfield.com and I was wondering if after I installed it with a new head unit I would be able to hear the difference in the new speakers.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

you would be better off amping those speakers. tbh you probably would have been better off replacing the front speakers. the rear speakers on the accord (factory) are mostly for bass. and they do a decent job of it. if you put coaxils in then you have now put highs in the rear where they werent there before. the reason you probably are not getting the sound quality that you want is because you have changed the sound stage of the car. Instead of investing heavily in a head unit you would probably notice a bigger difference by taking that money and buying a 4 channel amp and some front speakers.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

it is very common to replace speakers and have them sound not much better than factory. amplification is needed.

and as neo mentioned, upgrading the front components should be step 1. music should come from in front of you. the factory 6x9 are for bass and midrange only. i never recommend highs (tweeters) behind you. mids, yes. low, yes. highs, no. the reasons are many, but i'm not here to bash you decision.

the best thing you can do is get a 4 channel amp with high level inputs to power the speakers. 50-75W RMS of amplifier power will sound great. a head unit to power them still won't get maximum performance since the head unit provides about 12W RMS of unlistenable power, about 8W RMS of listenable power.

a new head unit giving a signal to the amplifier is idea., and recommended if your goal is good sound. of course, new front component speakers is key for any system.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Old 05-28-2011, 08:00 PM

i would put components in the front.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-Dampener.html

Last edited by neophyte; 05-29-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, always components up front, never coax. New Alpine type-R comps sound darn good.

Fine amp choice.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok thanks dont really want to spend that much on alpine-R's but what about these Alpine SPS-600C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM

if you want the sps check out that link i posted it is 5 dollars more and comes with deadning.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

i've heard the Type-S and i'm not impressed. The Type-R sound darn good for the money.

You'll have to audition them yourself. Any big box audio store will carry them.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your help picking out the speakers for the front but in all honesty i really dont want to spend the time taking the factory tweeters out of the dash to replace them with the aftermarket ones so should I still go for the components up front or go for the other cheaper coax, or is the sound quality really that noticeable.

Quick Reply: New Speaker Help