Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New Speakers

Ok about a week ago i bought a Pioneer DEH-3200UB for my car. I love what a difference it has made over the factory receiver. Now i think it's time for a speaker upgrade. I'm pretty sure that components are the best way to go. Is powering new speakers off of the stereo a good option or should I buy an amplifier. I'm not the kind of person that wants to let people across the city hear what i am playing but sometimes I like to crank it up.

Also, what are some good components that you would recommend for under a hundred bucks?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Thumbs up Sony Has Some under 100.00

Ima broke dude, so when I put in some tunes I got some Sony 6 1/2 component speaks, w/crossovers... They sound great...I had to do a slight modifiation for the bass component speak to fit in the door , but it was real simple, I might go with them in the rear to, but ima buying some wheels and tires 1st. Check out Sonic Electronic on-line...I think even Wal-Mart carries some like what ima talking about, they are real inexpensive, but In all my life Sony products have never FAILED me... Good luck...Dave. Actually I think I paid like 50 bucs for a set...

Last edited by dunnskii; 01-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

I avoid most Sony car products not because of failure but overall build quality and performance. There isn't much under $100 for components besides Phoenix Gold RSD or MB Quart that can be purchased online. As a general rule, if Walmart sells it, avoid it.

Components for the front is #1. An amp to run them will give you more volume but will run $200. So an amp may have to wait. When installing front speakers, do it right. See my sticky thread in this section for installation how-to.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

One way to save money on an amp is to buy used. Alpine, Kicker, Phoenix Gold, Boston, MTX, Kenwood all sell decent entry level amps or amps you can get used.

Avoid Dual.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
I avoid most Sony car products not because of failure but overall build quality and performance. There isn't much under $100 for components besides Phoenix Gold RSD or MB Quart that can be purchased online. As a general rule, if Walmart sells it, avoid it.

Components for the front is #1. An amp to run them will give you more volume but will run $200. So an amp may have to wait. When installing front speakers, do it right. See my sticky thread in this section for installation how-to.
I love Wa-Mart, Never done me wrong...And neither has any Sony product I have ever bought, TVs , home stereo systems, PlayStations, etc..., I kno you know what your talkin about, but I read some thing some where that at 1 time some sort of sony product was in like 80 % of all electonics made... I bought a component speak from Crutchfield and sent them back, I had toys w/better constructed speaks...Any How Hope ya find some thing that works for you...And always like to hear what Keep Hope Alive has to say... Peace...Dave

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks guys. im still looking around and not in a big hurry.

i found this on sonicelectronix
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...t-FSA-216.html

what do you guys think about these speakers?
and would they fit in my 98 Accord EX without any issues?

thanks,
matt prenger

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

no speakers are a direct bolt-in. the factory speaker has a plastic mount that is different than any normal speaker. you're going to make or buy a mount for them. my build log shows the process in good detail (link in sig) or you can reference the door speaker sticky in this section.

for the price, those speakers are fine.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Hey, "Keep", I have yet to do any thing in the rear speaker area, are you saying that Ill need to change some thing back there too ? due to the Stock 2 piece speak Brackets/Covers...I was gonna keep it simple and do some 4 way, 6 1/2's...I do kno that some brands 6 1/2's are too deep by like 1/4 to 3/8's... Just chiming in to see what U think...I dont wanna get any major mods going w/the speakers back there, so Ima Looking for simple ways...thanks...Dave

Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

i would avoid 4-way speakers as that is just three cheap drivers + woofer that have little/no crossovers. i've auditioned hundreds of car audio speakers over the years, with 4-way being at the bottom of my list. I've heard some >$300 3-way coaxials that were decent (Hertz Audio). most decent 2-way speakers are more than sufficient if you have proper aiming for the tweeter. as for depth, that is where the mounting baffle comes in - and a properly build baffle can gain you 3/4". factory speakers tend to have more top mount depth than aftermarket. you lose available depth with coaxial speakers since the tweeter pokes out. you can gain a lot of usable depth with a component speaker system since the woofer can be brought out closer to the factory panel.

Really, a component set should be used up frontto get the tweeter up at the dash/apillar area. you want tweeters aimed at your ears, not your knees. Accords have been good about dash tweeters for a long time. factory tweeter locations are even decent.

as you can see in my door speaker sticky thread, i am using 3/4" MDF for my door speaker baffles, with several layers of deadener between them. this is how i can fit monster midrange/midbass drivers in the front doors of a Honda, while keeping a factory appearance.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM

well actually that was kinda wut I was thinkin, wouldnt get much out of the 4 ways, but kinda thought it would be "fill" sound...Would a Comp set up work back there?? I could always in-stall the tweeets in a angled bracket on the rear deck. Dont plan on having many passsengers so...Ima not looking to thump the hood...lol jus some good ranges, and U kno me, cheapin, broke as a joke...lol ty again...Dave...It sux being Broke...lol Im working on Getting my new wheels from Angelo, and gettin the tires on, so budget is tight for now...

Quick Reply: New Speakers