Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

older model L7 15"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Default older model L7 15"

wow its been a minute since ive been on here...how are u guys??...and since im pretty late ill also ask how ur 4th of julys were??...

but back on topic...i jus got a kicker l7 15 from a guy..works good and everything except the fact that it is in a small ported box so it doesnt sound as good as the L5 i used to have but thats ok...question is...i have the black model of the solobaric L7 its so old it doesnt even say L7 in the front...u have to look at the back...just says solobaric on the front..but i cant find any specs on it...i need to know so i can set my gains and get the appropriate box...square solobaric L7 and its completely black...thnx for any input

Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If it looks like this it is a 2002 model. Don't know the specs, google is your friend.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM

well yea thats actually the model..but ive been searching google..and still havent found anything..ill keep lookin i guess

Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM

the only ones that pop up are the silver ones with blue in the middle..they all say 2002 on em...possible mistake on ur part?? or maybe the sites are getting the models confused....not sure but ive checked about 3 so far

Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM

so thats what they are??....D Series?? no wonder i cudnt find em...alright well preciate it...

Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 PM

99% sure, it's actually the 00 model, not 02. I was remembering that the newer models came out in 04, but it was 02. So it's either the 00 or the 97 model, I doubt it's the 97.

EDIT: Also I'm not so sure how much better than a L5 this will be. You would have been better off running more power to your L5, even the L5 is underrated. The drivers are probably very similar, but the L5 has a better cone.

Last edited by t00fatt; 08-06-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM

wow....seriously??..well that makes sense..cuz right now its not as loud as my L5 was...well i mean its in a smaller box...a waaaaay smaller box so i thought that cud most likely be the problem...the box its in is waay too small for it...especially to be a 15...it looks about the max size a 10 shud be in...which pretty much accounts for the higher bass notes it hits...but yeah im upgrading the box soon...somethin a lil larger..

but i hear what youre saying...a 15 with half power sounds worse than a 12 with just about full power...so i think an amp should be on my list now huh? well one step at a time..id prolly just wind up tradin the 15 for a 12 and putting it back in the box i have..stayin with L7 though...

Edit: Doesnt the 00 model have the solokon??..ur sayin the cones are different...elaborate a little..

Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM

I don't know what kicker calls it, but those cones are not as beefy as the newer models. But the drivers are also not as powerful, so I guess it evens out. I don't think I would call the cone weak, but the driver won't take as much power as the new ones. I wouldn't feed that sub more than 1000w, while a 15" 08L7 can take well over 1500w.

If the box is that small, your probably getting a hell of a lot of distortion. Also sealed boxes, are less efficient and need a lot more power. So if your amp isn't all that big, it's never going to get very loud in a sealed box. In a sealed I would feed that sub at least 750, in a big ported box I wouldn't go past 750w.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM

oh ok thanx for helpin..and wierd but i just thought of somethin...my old L5 12 was dual 2 ohm meaning that it wud be wired down to 1 ohm at mono amp correct?..well thing is... my amp doesnt have a 1 ohm rating...nor does it say its capable of handlng it...yet it did and of course i should know...now...i have a dual 4 ohm 15 right now..not as much power as u say it needs but it shud be wired down to 2 ohms meaning...its getting about 500 if not jus a tad over...and actually the box its in isnt sealed its ported...the ports are incredibly small though..lol..about 3 inches in diameter (circles) and its only two of them..so i think the sub is stressing because not enough air is being moved like it should...shudnt it still be a tad louder bein that its two ohms and it has more than half of what u said it shud have?...is that correct rating or is that just a way to keep from blowin the speaker??..are the cones not designed to handle as much power as they claim?

oh and back to whats wierd....wudnt that blow or fry or mess my amp up since its not 1 ohm stable?..or am i calculating the impedance wrong?

Quick Reply: older model L7 15"