Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

potentiometers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Default potentiometers?

i have a 01 accord coupe and im looking to put in a ppb1 rockford fosgate bass eq(potentiometer ) in for my sub system. i had the idea of sticking it into the tray to the left of the steering wheel. i was wondering if anyone has done this and/or has a better idea?(online manual isnt very specific with dimensions) i want it accessible and to look clean. and i am wondering if anyone knows how long the cable that comes with it is?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

you can locate that potentiometer anywhere you want. it looks nice when it's flushed up or recessed. The ***** pulls off and there is a nut holding the pots in the case. the case is just a method of securing cable jack.

For most bass *****, the cable is nothing special - usually a 2 conductor telephone cable with RJ-11 on each end, or 4 conductor with a RJ-14. Most of the cables are around 25' long since they are so cheap. The length will vary based on the manufacturer/distributor.

The RF PPB1 is more than a single potentiometer - it's a parametric eq and uses a single RJ-45 connector and probably Cat5. It lets you select the frequency AND the boost level. At any rate, you could make your own cable with Cat5 and RJ-45 ends. The cable needs to be non-flipped, so be careful using a standard network cable.

It's too bad it's only boost. It would be more helpful if it could provide cut as well, since most systems suffer from a peaky resonant frequency or mode.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 05-26-2010 at 11:56 PM.