Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

quick question - speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Default RE: quick question - speakers

well do u need to do that? what if i just make a 3/4" MDF baffle, will that allow enough room for the comps without cutting?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM

ive seen that thread squeak wrote pefor, and i was planning on going off it for my install anyways. just gotta make sure i can fit a 3/4" MDF ring behind the door panel neatly

Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

or...use a spacer to fit a 5.25" speaker. i just did that the other day.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Fat Ryan

well do u need to do that? what if i just make a 3/4" MDF baffle, will that allow enough room for the comps without cutting?
ORIGINAL: Fat Ryan

ive seen that thread squeak wrote pefor, and i was planning on going off it for my install anyways. just gotta make sure i can fit a 3/4" MDF ring behind the door panel neatly
Honestly you could try, you've got about 2-3 inches between the metal and the door panel, so you could even try 1". The best way to do it would be to cut the metal. Its really isn't difficult to cut with a jig saw, the hole doesn't need to be pretty just not too big or too small.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 PM

i just really dont wanna cut my new car, ya know

Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM

You do have to cut the doors if you want 6.5's to fit properly unless theyre really small 6.5's.

If you just build a 3/4" spacer, the magnet will go thru the hole but the panel will block off pretty much all the open air space behind the cone. This is bad. It will kill virtually all your midbass and make the speakers sound very thin.

If you dont want to cut, use a GOOD QUALITY 5.25. It will fit better and since it will have proper air space it will sound much better.

Im running 5.25's in mine and am doing quite well in sound quality competitions.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 PM

anywhere i could get a pic of what your talkin about. im havin trouble picturing it. also, any tutorials on removing the door panel. i dont wanna break any clips like in my blazer

Old 09-11-2007, 08:10 PM

I just had a pair of JL Audio XR650-CSi 6 1/2" mid range speakers installed in the front doors of my '04 Accord EX 4cyl. They went in without a problem. Just a spacer. I also replaced the tweeters with Memphis Audio MC15-MT1S 1" silk dome tweeters. I did not put them in the factory location but had them mounted on the door panel above and to the right of the mids. Imaging and presence is dramatically improved over the factory placement though I had to lose the stealth factory mounts.
I did not use the JL aluminum tweets that come with this component set because they are a bit too harsh for my taste. The Memphis tweets are much smoother with no loss of the highs.
I have heard a pair of 5 1/2" JL XR650's in my friends '04 Accord and notice very little loss of mid range over the 6 1/2's.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Im really suprised they fit. Those XR's aint small.

Maybe Honda went to the smaller cutout for the factory speakers in the later years cause the openings I have, there is no way to fit a 6.5 in there without a 1" spacer and then it chokes off the venting.

I feel ya on the aluminum tweeters. Im a huge fan of everything JL but wish they would go to a soft dome tweeter. MB Quart is the only company that makes a metal dome tweet that I like but theyre using titanium.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Does anyone know if componet speakers are worth the extra $$. Or should I get the reg. size 5.25 speakers.( Both are Polk Audio.)

Quick Reply: quick question - speakers