Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Should I get a subwoofer or replace my old speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Default Should I get a subwoofer or replace my old speakers?

well to start off im buying a better head unit ( the cd receiver, deck ). then should i replace my front 6.5" speakers ( i was gonna replace em with coaxial speakers but i heard if i do that it will sound worse than stock speakers.. no idea why and component speakers need to be installed differently cuz of the cross over and other stuff ) or should i buy maybe 2 10" subs or 1 12" and an amp. what u guys think. any other advice is appreciated

Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i so far have only done the speakers in the back...i put two kicker 6x9s back there and they sound amazing. I have not installed the door or aftermarket head unit yet and already i can tell a difference. I would get a set of nice 6x9s and 6x5s speakers(pioneer, kicker, infinity, etc) and that should be enough. If not a 10in sub with a 500 watt will do the trick man.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

this is a common question. a lot of people start in the rear and ignore the front speakers. But this is a backwards approach. You always want music in front of you. You want the speakers closest to you to be the best sounding.

What year/trim is your Accord?

Coaxial speakers locate the tweeter on the speaker, not very good in a door aimed at your feet. Component speakers separate the tweeter and woofer so you can put the tweeter up higher, where it can be heard. Honda does this at the factory for the same reason. Because the tweeter is separate, an external crossover is also required - and is another benefit since the crossover also affects performance.

simply put, your next effort should be a component set in the front doors, with the tweeter in the dash/a-pillar area. you can locate the crossovers behind the dash, in the glove box, anyplace where they are still accessible, dry, and protected from damage.

if, after the front speaker upgrade, you want more bass, then add a sub or two. but recognize that the sub in the trunk will pressurize those rear 6x9's, causing them to distort.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM

I used to have the single band pass 10" sub driven off a Rockford Fosgate amp fed by large caps, and the stock speakers were driven by a separate amp from an active crossover.....untill someone relieved me of it.

After I purchased a Dual with usb and bluetooth from Wally World, low buck, low watt, loww on the theft list head unit and my 91 accord ex speakers sounded like they were blown in the rear and with good reason....

Since, I enjoy preserving my hearing and removed the stock rear speakers to see that they had simply separated from the surrounds, and reattached them to the surrounds with RTV. Major improvement in sound quality. My neighbor was kinda upset that he spent bookuu bucks on speakers, head unit, and amp to find that my stereo may miss some of the treble his has, does not get as loud,....but is a much richer, fuller sound and at low volumes.

I told him all he needs is to add a sub and crossovers so he too could feel the music as I once could.

If you want clean sound at low volume stay with the stock speakers.

If you want to get close to competition sound levels, please deaden your body panels so I don't have to listen to Raddle.....raddle raddle.....Raddle... as you go by.

Powell

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

if you install aftermarket speakers and they sound worse than a stock system then they were installed incorrectly. that richness and fullness you describe was simply the result of stock speakers sealing against the car's panels, and the aftermarket speakers not having a proper seal.

i could have done the install on your buddy's car and it would have blown you away in comparison.

install is 90% of how good something will sound.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-10-2010 at 10:39 PM.