Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sound system help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
tjohn
Unregistered
Default sound system help

ok so i really know nothing about car stereo systems but im going to upgrade mine (1997 honda accord lx) i know how to do all the wiring from the battery throught the firewall and throught the dash and **** but i dont know about all the specifications that are on sub woofers and amps. im planning on getting a new stereo and 2 nice subs with a decent amp and get some sweet speakers in a month. the subs i was looking at are either http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...011&tp=111 or http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...104&tp=111and im leaning towards the kenwoods. i d ont know anything bout amps and i know that rms is the constant power so was wondering if anyone here could help me out with waht amp to pick for this load and i dont wanan pay 300$ lol jst like 100-200
and if you could explain all the bridege and ohm **** to me that would be great.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Default RE: sound system help

first off it would be nice if you cleaned up the language a little bit, second, both those subs are low end subs, if you are a bass head you will be unhappy with either of those, if all you want is a little bit of sound though and those were the choices i would choose the kenwoods, although neither of them are ideal in my opinion, you can get a power acoustik gothic series amp, 700 rms , and you can turn the amp down if need be and pound either of those subs good. heres a link for one thats 110 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-O...3286.m14.l1318 i have the 600 watt power acoustik gothic pushing my jl 12w6 and it really moves it!! good luck hope you get what you want!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
tjohn
Unregistered

well what would you recomend to really get my car shakin i guess if its really worth it i could dish out a pretty penny for some decent bass

Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM

well for me i have always loved jl audio, gotta get atleast a a w3 series , you can find em on ebay fairly cheap, around 120 each, some say jbl is nice also, havn't owned any of those though, fosgate is nice as well, you can get some for around 200 at best buy for 2 12's

Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 PM

i got a planet audiodont get anything over 2007 series(08 is crap) the amp u get has to have a lower ohms then then sub so for a 2 ohm sub have a 1 ohm rated amp right? (i studied physics but i forgot alot already lol) i can get wicjed base out of my 1 12", my roof in my blazer use to bend(bounce up and down casue of the preasureization) i thiught cheap subs, were good, i went throught 3 differnt brands pioneer(similar quailtiy to what you looking at) then i got 2 jl w0-8, ok, but not loud, then i got my big bang from plaent audio, 300 sub when it came out, it can compete with a W7, so no honestly you will never get heavy or even clear base for a cheap price

main points(MY OPiNION, PLEASE DONT BE AN A$$, and say "you are wrong")
jl is good, but way over priced

jbl is good stage gear but not good for car audio

kenwood, some are good some are bad

sony, well they are ok

Some good ones, i think of off my head
DC Sound Labs
Planet Audio(before 08)
Kicker
JL Audio
Fosgate
Focal(not the loudest butby far near the the top(best)), nothing is clearer(but its a very steep price some running 3000$, they have a set a tweeters that runs 3900$
.... i got more just cant think

Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 AM

i used to have 3 infinty 12's i bought from circuit city for around 200, i had an audiobahn 800 amp pushing them, they hit hard too, and were on sale two would do you well, as far as jl goes, i just left the strip where i was parked and had about 10-12 people around listening to my system bang and everyone of them swore i had ATLEAST 2 12s in the trunk, when i showed them my one lil jl w6 12 their jaws dropped, one guy said i've got 4 12's in my truck and they don't hit like that, ( of course i don't know what kind of 12's he has probbly sony or kenwood ) LOL joking , but anyways, bottom line is get a bad to the bone sub with a decent well matched amp and you'll be ok, like i said my 12w6 and the gothic amp POUND, plus my box is undersized which is hampering some of my bass and it still pounds, i also agree with most of what tippman said, except the jbl part, i have only heard great things about jbl but i have no personal use with them so i don't know, however i do have personal use with kicker, fosgate, jl, kenwood, sony, infinty, and alpine subs i would rate them like this
jl audio , kicker, infinty, fosgate, kenwood , sony , just my two cents

Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 AM

I would say I agree with most of what has been said. I have had many subs over the years (pioneer, marathon, fosgate on 3 diff occasions, kenwood) and I'm partial to JL (we also carry the line at work). I have always been a fan of fosgate for a great bang for the buck. My opinion is go with fosgate gear if you want to stay conservative with you budget, go with JL if you're willing to spend a few more bucks to get more. DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE AMP THOUGH!Don't buy a $100.00 amp. You could buy these subs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...412&tp=111
and this amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...504&tp=115
and just run the amp conservatively so you don't overdrive the subs. Then if you wanted to upgrade in the future you could keep your amp but get some better subs and use the full potential of the amp. Those subs will hammer fairly well though.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:18 AM

i agree with slammed, that setup he showed you should work out really well for you

Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM
tjohn
Unregistered

well i was leaning towards teh kenwoods up there in my first post but i dont know if any of you know of any that are around the same price and have more bang but what amps should i use to power this system? i dont know anything about amps and the x1 or x2 bridged its all confusing lol

Old 06-29-2008, 08:16 PM

I had 2 kenwood 10's in a mustang and a jeep once that I was very disappointed in. As far as amps go did you look at the links I posted? That fosgate amp is a 4 ch amp but if you bridge it to 2 channel it will run as much as 225x2 giving you more than enough power to run those subs but also giving you enough power later to power better subs or run 4 channel to run your mids/highs. Alot of flexibility with that setup for the money.

Quick Reply: sound system help