Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Speakers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/speakers-18095/)

Kai Winters 05-01-2008 06:14 AM

RE: Speakers

Component speakers have the tweeter as a seperate unit from the mid-range. They also use a better crossover network.
"Regular" speakers are co-axial...meaning the tweeter is integrated into the speaker assembly and make one unit.
Components are considered better in sound quality, imaging, seperation, etc. compared to co-axials.

donpisto 05-01-2008 09:52 AM

Just to get a visual of what Kai Witners is saying here are some pictures. The first picture are of components. The second picture are of coaxial speakers.

http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/image...TE/GTO607c.jpg

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/LiveI...geURLThumb.gif

Also, if you want to take it to an entirely new level, you don't need the crossover that comes with components. It is a passive crossover and some people use active crossovers.

jnunez 05-01-2008 05:45 PM

Would it make sense to by regular 6 1/2 and then buy tweeters?

falkore24 05-01-2008 05:47 PM

Nope ..... coaxial or component ..... unless you are building a competition system.

MacLeod 05-01-2008 08:45 PM

The differecne between a 5.25 and 6.5 is pretty big. As mentioned, the 6.5 will have better midbass due to its larger cone area which can move more air. Thats about the only advantage to a 6.5. A 5.25 will have better midrange but the best benefit to a 5.25 is that it can be crossed over much higher than its bigger brother. For instance, my beloved Polk Audio Signature Reference 5.25 is currently crossed over at 6.3 KHz. This makes for much better imaging and an overall better sound quality. A nice meaty midrange speaker will always be more pleasant to listen to than a harsh tiny tweeter so you want the mid to be playing as much of the frequency spectrum as possible. Plus, the more of the spectrum you have coming from a single source, the better for overall imaging and sound quality.

Thats not to say that you cant get great imaging out of a 6.5, but its just a lot easier with a 5.25. My beloved SR5250's bigger 6.5 brother could maybe get up to 4 KHz before it started rolling off.

So its a trade off - if you want bigger midbass you go with the bigger speaker. If you want the better midrange and better imaging, you go with the 5.25. No wrong choice really, just a matter of personal taste.

The benefit to components is that for one they generally use a better tweeter than their coaxial counterpart since the tweeter doesnt have to be limited by space constraints. And second, you can mount the tweeter seperate and in a spot thatll improve the soundstage. Generally the mids go low in the doors. Tweeters are very direction so by having them in the door firing into your ankles, it not only pulls the stage to the floor but smears it to the right cause the tweeter on the right side will be more on axis and its higher frequencies will be louder than the ones coming from the left.

donpisto 05-02-2008 11:07 AM

How, 6.3 KHz? I have my Zapcos crossed at 2.8 KHz. Thanks for the info MacLeod. I'm a noob when it comes to imaging and whatnot, still trying to get used to using my H701 processor. I didn't know it's best to get the most out of the mid to improve the soundstage.

MacLeod 05-02-2008 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: donpisto

How, 6.3 KHz? I have my Zapcos crossed at 2.8 KHz. Thanks for the info MacLeod. I'm a noob when it comes to imaging and whatnot, still trying to get used to using my H701 processor. I didn't know it's best to get the most out of the mid to improve the soundstage.
Just for the record, that is purely my opinion based on what Ive seen work for me. Its not been scientifically tested or proven anything like that so take it with a grain of salt and all that.

To me it just makes more sense because when you look at my mids, having them crossed over at 6.3 there are 8 octaves coming from a single point source and only 2 coming from the tweeters. Also considering my tweeters are mounted up on the dash, there is a lot of glass to screw up the sound.

Any questions about the 701 feel free to hit me up. Like I said, Im still learning myself but I know my way around it pretty well.

donpisto 05-03-2008 03:19 AM

Thanks...do you have a dash mat? I have my tweeters on the dash as well and I get quite a bit of reflection, causing the soundstage to move around. I ended up getting a dash mat and it helped, but I plan to move the tweeters over to the A pillars soon.

MacLeod 05-04-2008 12:34 AM

Yes I have a Dashmat and it made quite a noticable difference. The A pillars are the best place for tweeters IMO. If I knew how to fiberglass and make it look good Id stick mine up there. Even tho Im going for SQ I still dont want the car to look all ratty.

Whats funny is that after all my touting the benefits of 5.25's Ive been playing with the idea for the last couple days of sticking in my old 6.5's and seeing what I can do with them. Maybe Im just getting bored with my 5.25's and want to play with something else. :D

donpisto 05-05-2008 09:45 AM

Lol. I feel you on the fiberglassing. I'm not so great with that myself. If I was, I would do fiberglassed doors like a friend of mine so I can fit some 8's and do a 3 way setup. However, he has 10's in his doors. To make it even crazier, he also has 8's in the kicks.