Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Splice Cigarette Lighter Cable?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Default Splice Cigarette Lighter Cable?

I want to add a hidden cigarette lighter socket behind my dash while retaining the existing one in my 2004 Accord. I've read plenty online about simply splicing into the hot (12v+?) cable to the lighter behind the dash and using the female end of a Y-splitter to create a new socket that way.

My problem is that I'm not good at soldering, I don't know what heatshrinking is, and so I'm not confident that I'd make a good job of it at all. I've read about Posi-Taps, which look like the perfect answer, allowing me to tap into a wire with no soldering or crimping, but I've also read people's comments that for a 12v accessory cable they would only ever solder, and not to be lazy in those instances.

Well, I'm not considering using Posi-Taps because I'm lazy, I'm considering it because I'm not confident with my soldering! My question is, would it be ok to use a Posi-Tap on the cigarette lighter cable, or should I find someone (I have no idea who) to do it 'properly'?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

you really need to run new wire and fuse it if you are going to do that. some accessories can pull a lot of amperage. if you get two on the same run popping fuses or starting a fire wouldnt be that hard to imagine.

just new wire.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Your car already should have a front and rear accessory outlet, unless it is the DX which doesn't have a rear outlet.

Many Hondas have unused fuse slot in the fuse box that will supply power. Based on the dash fuse box diagram, it looks like fuse slot 29 and 31 are unused (see attached pic.). You probably can use something like an "Add-A-Circuit" mini in one of those unused slot to draw power. For the ground, look under the dash for a suitable chassis ground point, many times there are holes already to add a ground bolt.

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/Fi...FHM02FHA02.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Splice Cigarette Lighter Cable?-unused-fuse-slots.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-16-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks so much for the advice and research on my behalf. The thought of having to add a whole new circuit and fuse makes me feel defeated - that seems well beyond my capabilities. What's an '"Add-A-Circuit" mini'? Is what you describe something a total novice could do? I can't think right now whether I have a rear outlet but if I do I feel that redirecting its cabling for my purposes might be the easiest solution.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

tapping into the factory fuse panel could seem over whelming but shouldnt be overly difficult. if you want to run a completely seperate circuit it is easy. 2 wires. 1 connected to the battery with a fuse about 8 inches after the battery and 1 to some clean metal in the car. connect them to the plug and your golden.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

In my post above, it has a link showing what an "Add-A-Circuit" is. It can be done very easily by a DIYer. Most auto parts stores carry them. In my opinion, this is the easiest option for you; you're just running two wires, one for power to the fuse box and one to ground. On the power side for the accessory outlet, you're connecting that wire to the Add-A-Circuit and plugging that directly into one of the unused fuse slot I pointed out in my previous post. The ground wire would be attached to a metal part of the car under the dash.

I made a basic illustration of what you would be doing (see attached pic).

You can even google "Add-A-Circuit and see how it just plugs into the fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails Splice Cigarette Lighter Cable?-basic-hook-up.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Good post here men, that should help him out very well..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM

I've just had a chance to review the information you provided properly (I was on holiday before today), redbull-1, and it's top-notch! Thanks for taking the time! A few more questions, if you don't mind...

1. I'm looking at getting something like
this this
to have behind the dash. It has a positive and negative wire, as all such products seem to, but no ground wire. How does that tie up with your cabling diagram? Would both the positive and negative wire connect to the Add-A-Circuit wire, or does the negative attach to a grounding point?

2. Is it definitely an Add-A-Circuit Mini and not Standard that I need? I can't find anywhere that says whether my fuse box takes mini or standard fuses.

3. I was going to ask what rating of fuse to use but the description of that connector indicates that it's 5A. I guess that's right?

4. What kind of connection does the butt connector that comes with the Add-A-Fuse make? Given that my soldering skills are poor and I've never used heat-shrink tubing, do you still think I should go the soldering route? Is the butt connection likely to work loose if I don't?

5. Is there a correct way to connect the ground wire to the frame of the car? Should I expect to find bolts already in the chassis behind the dash for me to use or will I need to buy a bolt of some kind?

Sorry to ask such basic questions but this is all new to me!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I see you're in the U.K.? The fuse box in the Accords for the U.K. may not be the same as the fuse box diagram I included previously. I do not have circuit diagrams for U.K. models.

A1. The negative wire goes to a grounding point. Only the positive (power) wire is attached to the Add-A-Circuit.

A2. I am not sure what fuses the U.K. Accords take. An auto parts store in your area may be able to direct you.

A3. The socket in that Amazon link may be rated for up to 5A.

A4. If you crimp the butt connector properly and the wire gauge (diameter) is okay for the butt connector, it should be very secure. A good crimping tool helps greatly. Soldering is the best option; but, the butt connector should work. You can always cut the butt connector off and use the Posi-Tap on the wire for the Add-A-Circuit; although, I am not sure how well that may work.

A5. The ground wire should be connected to the metal body chassis. You probably have to add a ring connector to the end of the ground wire to secure under a ground bolt. There usually are one or more grounding bolts already under the dash area. If you cannot easily find a ground bolt to use, sometimes there are holes, where you can attach a ground bolt and nut to secure the ground wire.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Man you're quick! I was about to edit my post and sneak in another question but you already replied to it! Yeah I'm in the UK. I'm happy that I've got the right fuses. I've done a bit (a lot) more reading on this since I posted. It looks like a 10A fuse is the way to go.

However, another question I now have relates to which space to use in the fuse box. Some of the circuits in there will be powered all of the time, some only when the ignition key is turned partway, some when the door is open, etc. How do I know that the empty fuse slot I'm using is the right kind? I presumably have a fuse box diagram in my user manual at home (I'm at work) but will that tell me? I suppose I could always use the same slot that my existing cigarette lighter is in and run them both off the same one, with a fuse each?

Alternatively, I've checked and I have no cigarette lighter in the back of the car. I wonder if there's an empty slot which is intended for adding this extra in other countries. If so, could I just put a fuse in and trace where the wire goes coming out of the fuse box? Would there even be a wire, do you think?

Your help is much appreciated! I'll buy you a couple of beers next time you're in the UK, or I'm in the States!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Splice Cigarette Lighter Cable?