Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stereo problems in 2005 (factory deck)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Default Stereo problems in 2005 (factory deck)

My other thread went dead but I still have questions.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...uestion-65215/

This post will summarize the above thread, there is probably no need for you to review it but I am a layman, so maybe there is and I just don't know it

My 2005 Accord does not come with an MP3 player, but it does have an AUX port. So I bought a kit off of Ebay and plugged it into the back of the deck and now I can listen to my MP3 player by plugging into the headphone jack.
OK, but
The MP3 player has a whine, that increases when the RPMs of the motor increase.
The tuner and CD player do not whine.

I tried shortening the length of the cord to the MP3 player, in case it was acting as an antenna. This did not change the whine at all.

I added an Aukey Ground Loop Isolator to the MP3 cord, this did not change the whine at all.

Can someone tell me what is the problem and what is the solution to this whining.

Also,
Is it cheaper to just buy another deck and put it in. Or would that cause me to lose my alarm system with the deck?
I am not a car stereo aficionado, so any deck that had a CD player that will read MP3s and had a jack to plug my little MP3 player into would work, BlueTooth would be nice but is a luxury, I do not require it.

(my CD player now only plays those CDs that hold about 70 minutes of music (whatever that format is), it won't play MP3s, so a CD holds one album instead of hundreds of them)

Thank you for considering this question
. This whine is making me a little nuts.

(I am use to listening to MP3s and the radio is killing me with all thes DJs talking and the commercials. Also, about 20 miles from town I run out of radio stations to listen to unless I search, and I usually don't find anything I like)

Last edited by Schleprock; 12-01-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to move this over to A/V electronics where the audio gurus hang out...

What kind of MP3 adapter did you install?

If you're plugging your MP3 player in with it's headphone jack anyway, what good does that adapter do vs. using the aux-port that was already there?

If you sit in the car, listen to your MP3 player with headphones, not connected at all to the car, do you hear the same whine with engine RPM?

Old 12-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Default What port?

I did not see a port to plug my MP3 player into in my 2005 Accords factory deck. If there is one, than my problem is likely over. The factory one should work fine, I just did not see it.

Kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-A...53.m2749.l2649

Ground Loop Isolator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Audio-...53.m2749.l2649

I did not try listening to it through headphones. I guess I should. But in my od car that MP3 works fine and does not whine. If that helps at all, but that car does have an MP3 head hack built into the deck itself.

Thanks for your help

Where does the Honda Accord 2005 stereo ground wire go to, it could be that it is just not grounded very well and I need to clean up the connection. Where would I look for the ground wire at?
Does it run back to the battery or does it go to the chassis? Where should I look?

and Thanks

Last edited by Schleprock; 12-02-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

the whine is called "alternator whine" in forums. It is due to a potential (voltage) difference between signal grounding relative to chassis grounding. PAC Audio sells a similar adapter that hasn't been reported to have alt whine. if the metal shields on either the headphone plug or USB jack are touching bare metal, you can get noise.

a ground loop isolator would need to go between the interface and the car to be of use, as that is where I think the issue is.

You could buy a higher quality adapter but you'd be close to the cost of an entry level replacement head unit with the features you need and desire. I recommend a replacement head unit and you will be much happier all around.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Default Aren't Honda radio replacement pretty expensive?

I thought I needed to keep this radio because it has my alarm system too.

We only have 1 car stereo shop in my part of town. They told me that it would be several hundred just for the deck. I think they had a final cost guestimate at 1000 dollars.

Anyway, I will start looking around for a replacement deck, as long as I won't lose the alarm system.

A new deck would be just fine.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Your radio is equipped with an anti-theft system. Your car is also equipped with an anti-theft system (alarm). The two has nothing to do with each other.

Now what is the end stat you are trying to get to. If it is to play just MP3s then change the head unit. If you want the factory look and have Bluetooth then get a Bluetooth kit. In my 07 I chose to keep the factory look and upgrade my system to the Honda Navigation radio along with installing the USA Spec BT45-HON3. I now have BT capability and can control my phone with the steering wheel (only capable if you have the radio control steering wheel). I think it is the most cost efficient way instead of buying a new deck. You can install it yourself in an hour by following the instructions as long as you know how to remove your radio (videos on YouTube).

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 12-03-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the comments.

The radio "alarm" just means you need a code to use the radio if you remove it from the vehicle. There should be a 5 digit code on a card with your owner's manual.

You can get a decent Alpine, JVC, Pioneer, Clarion, Kenwood, etc. head unit for under $150 with BT, USB, and mp3. Install requires a mounting kit and wire harness adapter and takes about an hour to install yourself, but the shop shouldn't charge more than $100 for a head unit swap. If you buy it from Crutchfield, they will include the mounting parts and give you instructions, and offer phone support.

For tools, you will need a wire cutter/stripper/crimper tool, some wire crimp connectors, and some electrical tape (3M Super 33+ is my recommendation). Screwdrivers and 8mm and 10mm sockets also come in handy.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Default noise filter for alternator whine

If I decided to control the whine by using a noise filter where would the filter go?
Between the alternator and the battery?

I just watched a video that talked about the Big 3.

My car is not grounded anywhere close to what these guys were recommending. The OEM wire is pretty small going from the battery to the chassis. The wire from the alternator to the battery was not big enough either.

But, I don't have a monster amp. I just have what Honda put in, so the amp is probably in the deck itself.

Isn't all the "mega" grounding for people using big amplifiers?

Or could my adapter kit be so poorly insulated that it will pick up on anything.

Do you think fixing the grounds would help with the whine

Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you are looking at the ground purchase the ground for the V6 model. It is larger. Before you instal it sand the spot where you would screw it to the body.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Default OK, I will likely do the Big 3 thing

Engine to Chassis
Battery to Chassis
Alternator to Chassis

Between which one would the noise filter go, or do all 3 need it.

Or by upgrading do you not need a noise filter.

Quick Reply: Stereo problems in 2005 (factory deck)