Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sub and Amp Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

In my honest opinion. (i did the factory integration route on my car) it is about half a dozen one way, and six the other. just depends on what you want and what you are able to do. and yes the factory head unit will probably go out on you. mine did. i am just hoping this one lasts until I am ready to get rid of the car.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes that is what I was asking if i could put another head unit in the lower pocket and run the rca cables from the amp and the remote turn on lead and all that jazz to the head unit as opposed to cutting into the existing wiring loom. And if i decide to take this route how will i connect the front and rear speakers to the new head unit or will I have to run completely different speaker wires to those.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM

if you order through crutchfield it will come with a wiring harness that attaches your new haed units wires to the existing stereo wires. or you could buy a harness that does. it will be just like putting in any aftermarket stereo. you will need to splice the harness for the deck with the harness for the car.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

yep, the Metra 70-1721 will give your aftermarket HU access to wiring. if you also get the Metra 71-1721 you can still power your factory radio and maybe use it as a separate source if your new HU has an AUX input.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM

it you look on ebay they sell a cover so you can pull out your old radio and install a after market one but you still get to keep you AC stuff also just fyi its expensive

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM

that kit doesnt work if you have integrated digital climate control.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 AM

on ebay they do sell a thing for 03-0? accords that allows you to replace the your radio/temp control to where it gives you climate control and a place to install an after market head unit

Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 AM

I know what you are talking about. that only works if you have the a a/c control that is controlled by the ***** with a single temp setting. a single fan setting and a control over the mode. it does not work if you have the integrated digital dual climate control.

I spent months looking for one that does allow this to be converted for an aftermarket deck. They simply do not make one. This is the reason that their is a lower dash kit for the car. if your ac is controlled through the deck you can not remove the deck and retain your a/c.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok going the lower pocket route could I use this kit and the adaptor that comes with it to tap into the cars speakers? Honda Accord Kit 2003-up, chassis size E at Crutchfield.com

Old 06-26-2011, 10:34 AM

yes. that is the kit i ordered. It comes with the harness that will plug into your car then in to the stock radio to power ac and has the speaker leads to tie into the new radio.

Quick Reply: Sub and Amp Question