Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Subwoofer + Amp help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Default Subwoofer + Amp help

So i have a 4 channel kicker amp that is 4 ohm stable in bridged mode, which is what im doing to run my rockford punch sub. I just realized that this sub, which i bought off a friend, is 2 ohms. My amp does not say it is stable at 2 ohms in bridged mode, but ive been running it like this for about 2 weeks now with no problems, not even any clipping or cutting out, etc., and ive pushed it hard frequently. Does this mean that my amp is handleing this 2 ohm load fine?? Does this also mean that the sub is actually seeing more power from the amp than what it is rated at for 4 ohms??

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes, the sub will see more power at a lower resistance (Ohms - Ω). I think it's fine, my amp doesn't say it can be wired for 2Ω, but that's what I've ran since a few months after I got it.

Amp is an Alpine MRP-M350.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM

No it's not at all fine, your amp is being over driven which produces a lot of heat and I'm sure it's clipping. That amp and sub will not last long especially if your blasting it. With a 2 ohm load each side of the amp is seeing less than 1 ohm. It is not driving your sub cleanly if it is really a 2 ohm sub. Not only is your amp in danger but also your sub's VC from clipping. If your amp is not very hot than the sub is prolly a 4 ohm sub. Check it with an ohm meter.

EDIT: Wait your running a single sub of a 4ch amp bridged? Your probably only using one side of the amp bridged which can handle a 2 ohm load. How do you have it wired up, and what model amp do you have?

Also clipping is a surge of current from the amp and is not clean, it sounds like distortion not a "clipping" sound. Most people don't even notice it in bass, in speakers it's an almost fuzzy distortion.

And 2 and 4 ohms is VERY low resistance in terms of electricity, the change in resistance is not what increases the power. An amp designed to run a 8 ohm driver, with an 8 ohm driver can pump out as much power as a 1ohm stable amp. When you run a driver with a higher resistance than the amp is designed for you lose power, but it's not because of the resistance itself.

Last edited by t00fatt; 04-07-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Okay, my bad, well it works fine on my mono amp, unbridged.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM

arent most mono amps stable at up to 2ohms?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Lol if your amp is not rated for 2 ohms it is not working fine, your just lucky your VC can take the heat from clipping and your amp can take the heat. That doesn't mean your amp is not clipping, running below the rated impedance is guaranteed to clip, no doubt there. Don't be surprised one day when your sub just stops mid beat one day...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 PM

i have a kicker zx350.4 running a DVC rockford punch that is ACTUALLY a 4 ohm sub, but it is wired down to 2 ohms. One side of the amp is bridged running that sub, while the other side has my front speakers on it

Last edited by christian2000accord; 04-07-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 PM

Ok while I may be mistaken, you can bridge a 4ch amp to run a single driver, correct? If so than that 4 ohm rating would be bridged to one driver, meaning each side can handle 2ohms bridged. So if your running it off one side than it is within the amps rated limits, and your just fine. Finch is defianlty getting clipping though...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM

my amps specs say it is 175w x2 in bridged mode, which is 4 ohm stable, so i think that each side is only stable at 4 ohms when those 2 channels are bridged, if im reading that correctly

Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM

Ahh then what I was saying isn't true, a 4ch bridged is two drivers. So you are also over driving your amp lol

Quick Reply: Subwoofer + Amp help