Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   subwoofers draining battery? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/subwoofers-draining-battery-14443/)

BallaxB09 12-04-2007 09:46 PM

subwoofers draining battery?

when i first installed my amp and sub system, everything was fine. about a week later my car had lost all battery power, so i had to jump it(with subs still attached). it ran good for about another 3-5 days and the battery was dead again, so i jumped it once more.

after speaking with my dad he said that the amp/subwoofers were draining my battery, he suspected it was because i have my aftermarket alarm system boltedadjacent to the power supply to my amp on the terminal, with no insulator in between the two connections

ever since the second time i completely unhooked the amp power supply wire.

any suggestions on how to re set up the two connections to my battery?

(this may be hard to understand. i tried my best to explain the situation)

falkore24 12-05-2007 06:58 AM

RE: subwoofers draining battery?

look up "Big 3" ..... there is a battery terminal referanced in there that has the connections that you need.

MacLeod 12-05-2007 05:02 PM

Get a new battery.

An amp shouldnt drain a battery unless youre playing your system for a couple hours with the engine off.

vtecHef 12-05-2007 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: MacLeod

An amp shouldnt drain a battery unless youre playing your system for a couple hours with the engine off.

You can really get a couple hours out of you battery with the motor off and subs/amp/speakers playing ? I thought like 20 min max ?

tru_44 12-05-2007 06:31 PM

^^^^ yes u can, but that would depend on the batt or batts you are usin and the voltage the amp is pullin. The battery problem could be a cause of a bad batt or maybe your amp is not turning off when u turn off your car, some lower brand amps are known to do that.

MacLeod 12-06-2007 11:25 AM

Ive got close to 1000 watts in my system and I have the stock battery and I routinely sit in my car for 1-3 hours tuning and Ive never had a problem.

Granted Im not blasting it with deep bass music tho and these are brand new batteries but you get the point.

Ive got a friend that has over 4000 watts in his system with a stock battery and we've sat inside for an hour or more tuning before and it cranked right up.

94Honda 12-06-2007 11:48 AM

did u hook up the remote power switch from ur deck to ur amp? little blue wire, look for the place on ur amp.

BallaxB09 12-06-2007 03:20 PM

yeah, i've hooked up everything properly.

94Honda 12-06-2007 10:04 PM

well if everything is hooked up right. its gotta be ur amp, do u have all electrical connections wrapped? what kind of amp?

MacLeod 12-07-2007 06:25 PM

So whats the word on the battery? Is yours an old one or a new one?

BallaxB09 12-08-2007 03:47 PM

sorry i took so long to get on the forum, i haven't had access to computer in a few days.

the battery is still the same that came with the car, i bought it used.

and no i did not wrap any wires.

94Honda 12-08-2007 10:09 PM

yeah make sure u dont have any shorts and everything it wrapped up, but r u sure u got the remote hooked up? right?

BallaxB09 12-09-2007 03:44 PM

yes im sure lol
and ill check for shorts thanx

94Honda 12-09-2007 06:33 PM

yeah, hope you find the prob.

MacLeod 12-12-2007 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: BallaxB09

sorry i took so long to get on the forum, i haven't had access to computer in a few days.

the battery is still the same that came with the car, i bought it used.

and no i did not wrap any wires.
Replace it with a good aftermarket battery, preferably an Optima Yellow Top. If you cant swing that then one of Autozones Duralast Gold batteries would be a good choice. Believe it or not, those are about the best batteries on the market in the "normal" price range.

Even if that doesnt solve the problem, it wont be money wasted.