Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

system overhual time???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 PM

It's a kenwood kdc-237, when the cars running and the amp is off I can here a light ticking like sound, since I grounded it today you can here that through the amp also. I believe that to be the firing of the distributor. I have other things out like rad fans and ac so I do believe I might have a ground issue. I checked out all but 1 ground for the fans, one of which is located near the head unit to the right.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM

And the noise is there no matter the the gain setting, the amp actually has individual gains for each channel etc. It's an mtx thunder amplifier.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 PM

hey so i figured out the problem, the rca solder came loose on the amp motherboard, and the signal was arcing through the broken joint, still have the clicking sound in the head unit (front speakers)

Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

you hear ticking sounds through speakers powered the amp when it is turned off? that shouldn't be possible.

through the HU when it is off or only when on?

i have an idea, it involves running a 10awg wire from the battery to the HU, and using a relay to isolate the ignition power from the car. i will share a wiring diagram. it's how i do my HU.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 PM

lol, no onl when running, and its through the door speakers and amp to the subs, i repaired the amp, and it is still making that noise, matter of fact i even connected the other sets of rca's not hooked to the deck and they also make the sqweeling noise while the cars running, i changed to a ground point with metal showing and still has the issue, the sqweel goes away when i set to low pass only, but then the clicking gets louder, im starting to think it may be a bad amp?

also i will welcome any diagrams, just thought of this, the 97 lx comes with a window mount antenna, which is integrated with the rear defrost if i am correct, the ground wire for the defog is located on the rear deck "g801" according to the helms manual sect. 23-30. i looked at the mess of a rear deck the otherday and didnt notice any loose or disconnected wires. any devices added to the car can contribute to my car correct? i was doing a little searching and found a gm alarm siren in the rear mounted behind the drivers wheel well under the car, red wire is conected to a wire in the rear harness, i believe it may go to the reverse lights but not 100% sure the black wire was cut near the drivers rear light well, i covered the open wire with electrical tape

Last edited by phatboyslim2012; 05-28-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

dude. finding mystery electronics in a car is always interesting. you're seeing how someone else's mind works.

if it were me and it was my car. tonight i'd have the interior out of the car and i'd be looking at bare metal and wires. i would want to know everything about the car.

i'll get you the bypass diagram.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:57 PM

yea, im gonna be taking the interior out, actually thinking about putting in leather too possibly, i just cant do it until my foot gets better. but anyway im selling the mtx amp i have, cause i found a brand new pyle 1600watt 4ch amp on amazon for under $80, i was never a fan of mtx anyway

Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM

hey, so i disconnected the amp, no change, so i disconnected the wiring for the amp at the headunit end, and all feedback went away, so the feedback is being fed through either the rca's or the remote wire, like said previously there are three sets of rca's wired up in the car 2 going down the driver side and 1 down the passenger side, so in theary the rca's if picking up the feedback, should be at least a different frequency of feedback on each side, but are all the same. so i am guessing the feedback to be coming through the remote cable, ill test to make sure.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

the remote shouldn't be a problem, but weirder things have happened. try connecting the remote to the battery connection at the amp to isolate the remote.

1. disconnect the remote wire from the head unit.
2. turn on the head unit is on first,
3. connect the remote to the battery connection at the amp.

if the noise is gone, then it's the remote wire connection. if it's there, then it's not the remote.

it could just be the amp. MTX is a much better amp company than Pyle, FYI. I recommend against the Pyle. A good amp should prevent noise issues. If you need an amp for under $100, check the classifieds at CarAudio.com and DIYMA. I recommend buying a good brand name amp used instead of a new amp with your budget.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 05-30-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM

i got the mtx used, its a much older amp, all black with gold lettering. anyway the rca connections were broken when i got it, im an eletronics tech so i knew how to fix, what was happening is the amp would make that squeel unless i propped the rca's a certain way. so i fixed them, but anyway. if im not gonna go with pyle, im gonna go with kenwood, ive had kenwoods in the past and really liked the sound of them, plus ive never had a kenwood fail on me...

Quick Reply: system overhual time???