Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Testing an amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Default Testing an amp

I have a few old amps that were given to me and i want to know if theres a way to test them without actually installing the amp to the radio.i dont have preamp outputs on my radio yet and i really dont want to run everything and discover that the amp doesnt work. can anybody help me with this?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Default RE: Testing an amp

u need a radio. do you have one that is not installed in car and has rca outputs?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 PM

if you have a home stereo you can always just bring a battery inside and hook up one speaker, or get a cd player with a headphone to rca converter on it and then hook that up to the amp, wrap the power wires to the battery and use a speaker... or just hook the amp up to the battery, then hook up a lead source and test for voltage output on your amps, that will give you a decent idea

Old 07-28-2007, 06:51 PM

ok so i have extra speakers lying around (old bose speacker from my bros cl) and an rca wire and an ipod.

ive tried to hook the amp up with the positive and the remote line i guess to my battery (no ground does it matter) hooked up my ipod to the rca input but i got nuttin. is it because the ipod doesnt have enough juice to send a signal to the amp?

i can try it with my home receiver i suppose. am i doing sumtin wrong? does the ground absolutely have to be grounded? i thought it was a safety thing

what do you mean by hook it up to a lead source? i also have an old 94 factory radio but it has no rca output = no help

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it has to be grounded for DC items to work.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 PM

oh i knew that... but normally its just grounded to the frame how does that help the current? dc is just in then out not in then back like ac right? i think thats how it works i guess ill have to try that

Old 07-28-2007, 07:49 PM

honestly, i am not totally sure...i think i've had problems when i didnt ground...i am sure someone else here knows more about it...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 PM

ground amp to neg terminalof batt, power wire and remote both on thepositive terminal of batt, amp shound then power up, connect rca's, and connect speaker

Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM

hey thanks ill try that out good thing i decided to buy that "setting saver" (9 volt battery that plugs in your cigarette lighter so i dont lose my stations)

Old 07-29-2007, 06:12 PM

how much did that set you back?

Quick Reply: Testing an amp