Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Torn by Speaker Depth

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Default Torn by Speaker Depth

As it stands I purchased a used 2000 Honda Accord for money down two months ago after coming off a deployment in the middle east and I absolutely love the car.

The speakers though are still stock and I'm looking to upgrade them, I have all of my speakers picked out and I was going to roll with the component Infinity Perfect 6.1's in the front. Lo and behold the front door speaker well accommodates 2" depth and these speakers are about 2 5/8" top mount depth.

These are the speakers I want to get, love everything about them, but I don't know if I'm in for modifying the door panel to make them fit. Any advice on what I should do? I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon.

Jimi

Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

check out my build log and see what i've done with that car.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...94#Post1802404

you have about 1/2"-3/4" of top mount depth to add from a baffle. recognize the factory speakers have a huge lip so they seal with the factory door. that seal is important, but you can achieve it with weatherstripping foam.

installing speakers REQUIRES you make or buy a baffle to get the mounting holes to line up. the plastic adapters are crap and buzz. speakers only sound as good as the installation. thin metal and glass are HORRIBLE enclosures. sound deadening, deflex pads, wood baffles, etc. are required for a good performing speaker installation.

seeing as how i know you have enough room in the kicks for your components, you should consider that location if you want a sound stage. a sound stage with door speakers is very difficult to achieve - i've tried. The factory speaker locations (like in most all cars) are poor for imaging.

You can see from my build log that I put Alpine SPX-177R speakers in my doors. they have a mounting depth of 2.8". All I did was make a baffle out of painted MDF.

pics on the process for the construction for similar speaker baffles can be seen here:
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...=1#Post1755977