Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

is this true about subwoofers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Default is this true about subwoofers?

i was told the bigger the magnet on a sub the better it is. Im just curious, what is everybodys opinion. And how do u truely determine if a sub is good.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: is this true about subwoofers?

The magnet size usually just indicates that it can handle more power but I don't think it's a great rule of thumb, if you didn't know anything about subs then I'd judge them by that but the best way to determine a good sub is simply research

Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Fear_The_Marshmallow
Unregistered

The magnet doesn't indicate the quality of the sub. Research is a good first step, make sure you build or have built for you the proper box for the sub you choose, a cheeper sub in the proper box sounds better than the most expensive one you can find in the wrong box. Dont skimp on cable or amplifier power.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM

i'd never look at magnet size as a gauge for the quality of a sub. look at audiobahn subs: big magnet structures, yet they sound like ***, and can't handle the power they're rated at (i sadly speak from experience).

i'd ask opinions on specific models, or let us know what your goal is and then look for recommendations. if you really want to get into it, you can read up on the different T/S parameters and that can help give you an educated guess as to how the sub will sound.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Magnet is not a good indicator of quality. Try comparing a speaker using neodymium to a regular magnet. Neodymium is only magnetic with current, but when used in an electromagnet, it is 5 times more powerful than iron for its weight.

Look at S/N level, wattage ratings and consumer reports. Also, as mentioned, the box makes a huge difference.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM

If your looking for suggestions:
Id recomend the Alpine Type R series. Ive got the 12" in my trunk and its great. Hits hard and the bass lingers too. i paid a little more than 100 bux for mine.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

S/N isnt a rating of a sub. That would be for amps and receivers.

I dont look at specs much at all. Virtually all QUALITY brands will have specs very close to each other enough that there wont be an audible difference.

Granted some will be geared more to SPL while others for SQ.

The only spec I worry about is power handling.

The T/S parameters are good for finding out what the ideal box size and type would be but not really for how itll sound. The best way to find out how a particular sub sounds is to go listen to them.

And no, the magnet size has nothing to do with sub quality.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

oh yeah .... sorry, what I meant was sensitivity [db/W] also frequency response is important.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:19 PM

if you want better response buy a capacitor

Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 PM

A capacitor would only help if youre charging system wasnt up to snuff and even then it would only help marginally. Caps are more like a band-aid than a solution. Theyll help take up some slack of an inadequete charging system but only slightly.

Quick Reply: is this true about subwoofers?