Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Weak Bass...or maybe not enough? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/weak-bass-maybe-not-enough-4594/)

Markus26 08-19-2006 09:33 PM

Weak Bass...or maybe not enough?

sup fellas, i just installed my 10" Apline SWS-1022D Sub with an Alpine MRP-M450 alplifier in my 97 4dr accord. i have an alpine deck, and alpine interiors including 6.5" in the doors and 6x9's in the rear deck. for whatever reason i cannot hear the sub over my interiors. everything on the deck and amp is turned all the way up. the subwoofer option on the deck menu os ON and sub volume up to 15 (max). im thinking maybe its the box that its mounted in. seems to be a small, maybe .75cubic foot angled box. maybe i should try something else? or maybe you guys can reccomend a more powerful subwoofer setup compatable with that amplifier. thanks in advance. -Mark

marbro 08-20-2006 12:19 AM

RE: Weak Bass...or maybe not enough?

well... if you have it setup right you are putting out 220 watts to your 300watt sub, which is under powering it a little bit.... you cant run it in parallel though cause if you do it will most likely burn out the amp and possibly damage the sub..... but if you put in a stronger sub you will need a stronger amp

purify 08-20-2006 12:23 AM

hum, is it a dual voice coil sub? Maybe you have the ohms up too high on the sub. I'm not sure on the box, every sub needs a different size box, you'd have to read the specifications on your sub for that. But a ported box is going to be louder then a sealed, but they are always going to be bigger. If that doesn't matter then look into getting a ported box to the specifications on your sub.

stevephy 08-20-2006 12:49 PM

If it's a small box that isn't mounted to anything in your trunk, try moving it to different areas in your trunk facing different directions. Wave cancellation can cause 'loss-of-bass'.

Let us know if anything changes.

StevePhy

Markus26 08-20-2006 01:11 PM

Ive tried moving it around, no difference. the sub is bridged in a 2ohm state, so that makes the amp push 400W rms to it. it has plenty of power. the gain isnt even turned all the way up either. im just a little confused because ive had a RF 10" p3 DVC sub and it POUNDED. there is barely a difference over my 6x9's with this sub.

marbro 08-20-2006 01:33 PM

the thing is.... theres no way you are running 2ohm unless you are using only one voice coil, then if thats the case, you are totally over powering that one voice coil, and generally a DVC sub doesnt function properly off a single voice coil

as a side note, you probably blew that coil if youre running the amp at max.

Markus26 08-20-2006 03:13 PM

i think ive figured it out, i took marbro's advice and looked into the wiring some more. i hooked it up to what now seems to be a 4ohm lead and its running a lot better. ill keep you guys posted on any changes.

Markus26 08-20-2006 05:05 PM

Fixed it fellas! believe it or not the box that came with the sub was too much of a piece of crap, so i went to Circuit City and bought the MTX 10" sealed box. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! but seriously, thank you everybody who helped me attack this problem. -Mark