Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where to remote Clarion EQS746?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Where to remote Clarion EQS746?

I bought a OM refurbished EQS746 equalizer and just got around to testing it today.

I wasn't sure where to tie the remote cable in. I though I could have either have spliced it in with the remote for the head unit or the remote for the sub amp.

So I went for the easiest and added it to the remote cable for the sub amp.

I connected everything, and turned it on. The blue lights on the equalizer lit up, and the amp came on... But no bass.

I checked again, and sure enough the amp WAS on.

So I assumed it had to be the remote cable location. I connected the equalizers remote cable directly to a positive battery connect, and tried again. And I got bass. The sub actually worked. Took it off and tried it again on the amp's remote, didn't work. Tried it to the battery direct again and it DID work. So, now I'm confused.

Where do I put it permanently? Where do I wire the Equalizer's remote?

Oh, and while I'm at it, when I get more amps where do I wire their remote cables to?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

what are you using for a head unit?

when you start putting additional devices on the remote turn-on from the head unit, you'll need to install a relay.

pin 86 below should be connected to the head unit's remote output (blue/white on aftermarket head units).

Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Right now, the head unit is some old aftermarket Pioneer that came with the car.

Thanks for the help. I have one more question, though. What exactly is the relay called? Like, if I were to look it up or search for one to buy online, what would I call it? I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

walk into any autoparts store, or autoparts section of any large store, and you'll find 4-pin and 5-pin BOSCH relays.

the difference is that 5-pin includes a normally closed output (87a). you don't need that pin though, a 4-pin would work fine also.

if you get a relay socket like this, it gives you wires to easily connect to. otherwise you can use insulated female disconnects on the relay.

Parts Express sells both relays and relay sockets, but you might as well buy them locally.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 03-06-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks a lot, man. Awesome info.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

anytime. let me know if you need anything else.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Couldn't find one at Advanced or Wal Mart. I looked around, couldn't find anything. Then asked a worker. They said they didn't carry them but told me to try Best Buy. So that's where I'm going Sunday. Hopefully I can find one.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

try an auto parts store.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Found it at radio shack. WOOHOO! 60A Automotive relay for car audio, lighting, etc...

Looks just like the one in the picture. And thanks for the image above. Without it I wouldn't have known how to wire it.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

relays are your friend.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

a good resource for relay information

Quick Reply: Where to remote Clarion EQS746?