Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

wiring second amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Default wiring second amp

i have a 325 watt amp with 4 gauge wiring and now im putting in a 150 watt amp(finally). the 4 gauge wiring ive heard is good up to 1000 watts. if that's true then to save on money could i have a wire splitter in the back to save on buying a lot of wire again?

thats the important question but also...
the second amp is the same height and is a little longer than the first. my first one is mounted on the side of the trunk where there is a little pocket(was). im thinking of making the top bracket wide enough for the second one and keep the first amp where it is but with the wider bracket i can have threads coming out on each side of the amp allowing the second amp to stratal the first. leaving a gap of course. if that makes any sense, are there any objections and/or better ideas? i had it mounted to the side for the best function of the trunk... and it looks cool.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM

i found out i can use a distributer block for power so that q is a'd

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

you can stack amps the way you describe, leaving at least an inch of clearance. i would add a fan though because you are losing airflow. i assume you mounted it the same place as my two amps.

would put the smaller amp in back, but size the board for the larger amp. use threaded rod to make stand-offs from the board to the larger amp.

this is complicated depending on where the amplifier adjustments are. note that you don't want to lose total access to gain, crossover, etc. adjustments.

and yes, a distribution block is what you would use. if you are reducing wire size it should be fused. i like fused distribution blocks anyway so i can easily remove power to an amp if necessary.

for mounting locations - just in front of the amps is a nice place, and it works out since your power wire could/should be routed through the rear deck opening on the driver's side anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM

access is something i didnt think of... and i didnt think id need a fan because if its mounted vertically the air around it heats up, rises and draws in cooler air from lower. maybe thats not enough... especially in this weather.(40'C+ with humid-ex. crazy!)

another question. my head unit has three pre outs; for the front speakers, rear speakers and sub. the deck has specific settings for the sub so im using the front pre out. my question is can i run the two rca cable with each other? im assuming they dont create enough of a field to mess up the other(even though they will be similar signals)

and another question. running the speaker wires over sub wires is this gonna mess up my speakers signal? (both are wires from the amps)

Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

the fields are negligible due to the signal strength. it's all about signal to noise ratio. you can run RCA cables with speaker cables, you can cross them, etc.

amps get hot just sitting vertically. i prefer fans in general since the heat sinks rely on moving air, not just convection. my amps have fans built in, otherwise i'd have some.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM

ok thank you. all i gotta do now is mount the second crossover, mount new amp, mount a fan and do the power wire splitting. slowly but surely

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

please take good pics of the build progress and post them here. a lot of people will benefit from install pictures of flexible mounting locations.