Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

For all the Smokers out there

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Default For all the Smokers out there

I have a question for those of you who smoke in the car like I do.
How do you keep it clean? I am sick of frickin ashes always getting all over the black console and cupholders and stuff. Anyone recommend any products to easily clean it and possibly make the ashes not stick so bad?
Also I have noticed ashes always tend to stick on the outside of the car where I flick them when going down the road. there are always white specs all over. Would a good coat of wax help the ashes not stick to the outside?

Nobody try to be funny and tell me to stop smoking as their suggestion either. I already get enough crap about smoking from the ceo where I work (he used to be a heavy smoker - the ones who used to smoke and quit are so much worse than never-smoked people are.)
And don't tell me to Vacuum. I already do that once every 2 weeks or whenever I get a chance.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Default RE: For all the Smokers out there

I don't have much of an issue with ashes sticking to the side of my car, it could be because I just waxed it a month or so ago but I'm not sure. I just leave the window cracked at least 2 inches and flick out the front edge of the window, not the top. I found that when I tried to flick the ashes out the top it frequently blew them back in.

And by the way. Don't ever quit smoking until YOU want to do it. I'm not going to.

Happy smoking!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

get a cupholder ashtray and ventguards.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

I hate those cupholder ashtrays, they smell like crap to me (yes I know I smoke and it smells bad, whatever...) but for some reason I can't stand using those ashtrays. I always make sure to keep my cigarette by the window opening so that my car doesn't get smoky and smell like that.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

And dont' run the A/C! The smell will stick in the vents and that sucks for resale value (if you care about that).

Since you didn't mention smell, I wanted to at least advise that there's a jar you can buy that has wax in it to trap the smells.. these work great, but if the car gets hot from sitting in the sun these turn into bowls of liquid... I found out the hard way!!!!!!!!! It sure did a good job of suckign up the smell, but as I took off it spilled all inside my cup holder (damn was I lucky). the sprays didn't do crap for the cloth seats to take the smell out...

As for cleaning, I don't think it's possible... The owner before me smoked, and you can tell sometimes when i slam my visor up you'll see some "dust" come down, but you smell it and it smells like smoke.. ugh...

anyway, good luck to ya!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM

Yeah I have a bad habit of ashing out of the top every now and then. My 91 Mustang convertible's windows were designed in such a way that if you tried to ash out of the front of the crack, they always blew right back in your face. You had to ash out of the top of the crack in that car unless you liked getting burning ashes in your eyes while driving.
I've been smoking in my cars for years and just recently realized how ashy they get.
maybe the ashes sticking to the outside also has something to do with the humidity down here.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:48 PM

SN ...... you have to empty it! Also, the ventguards help manage wind to keep the ash from getting everywhere.

Another tip is to keep the butt near the sideview mirror. There should be a bit of suction there to pull the smoke and ash out the window.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM

I'll bet humidity plays a big part, we have always had very low humidity up here and I haven't had any major issues. Smell wise you can always do a box of baking soda too (like you do for the refridgerator)

Old 11-13-2007, 02:52 PM

You can smoke with the AC on as long as you don't have it on "recirculate." It won't suck the smoke in if it is just on regular AC.

sir_nasty I think I am actually thinking about quitting soon anyway. I smoke about a pack a day and I calculated that is roughly $1,149.75 per year (that is figuring a average spending $3.15/pack - about the average price in MS). But I just love that smokey goodness!! ooohhh just thinking about it right now at work makes me want one. I guess I'll throw in a dip of Copenhagen (yes I dip at worksince I can't smoke - I caught my boss doing it so i do it now)

Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

00: recirculate just means no outside air. if you have outside air on, about 80% is recirculated. Straight outside air is too much for the heat and AC to handle.

Spaz: Have you tried changing the cabin air filters?

Quick Reply: For all the Smokers out there