Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Big time trunk problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Default Big time trunk problems

Ok, I'll give you the short story. Got flat tire, went to put on donut. Bolt holding donut wouldn't budge. Twisted harder, the thing SNAPPED. Bolt completely rusted. Tire stuck to bottom of trunk. Yanked it up. Floor of trunk COVERED in rust. I mean, everywhere. The donut was completely rusted up too, the entire steel rim AND the freakin tire rubber was coated in rust. WHAT HAPPENED? I checked my trunk seal and it looks great. I don't know how water would get in, when I open thr trunk, only a few drops (the norm) fall onto my trunk liner. And I could spot any holes in the trunk's floor. Please help me out, what can I do?? At this rate, the whole back end of my car is going to rust off. And the rest of the car is in great shape. I have no idea right now....[]

Thank in advance for suggestions, hints,etc. I need em!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Big time trunk problems

anything ever spill down there? ever put a cooler or somethign back there?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Nope. Nothing. I'm just totally stumped. I've never felt the trunk liner being wet either. The trunk liner looks perfect, the underneath side too, its just the actual metal floor to the trunk.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 PM

pull the carpet up and have a look, I believe there is some drain holes in the flooring and some water may be coming up that way, condensation may also play a small part... take your car to the car wash and spray the trunk area excessively then dry it a bit and pop the trunk and inspect everything, you may have a small seal leak that is allowing water to run down the sides and under the carpet so you never see/feel the water but it's there....

Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 PM

=( i actually have the same probalem except my trunk isnt rusting... yet
something it travels to the cabin area too makin it humid and smell a bit

Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 PM

has anyone asked a honda dealer about this? service dept might have heard something. what about checking for a TSB on the issue...

Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 AM

It doesn't appear to be coming from around the drain holes. If anything, underneathe the bolt that holds the spare? But I havent sprayed it with water yet. Ha, so much for having a "clean" car with a bunch of rust in the trunk. haven't asked a dealer yet, but I can't stand them, they try to rip me off so bad, I've had it with them.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM

you should send the dealer and anonymous teabag through the mail. at the very least, it would make them think a little.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM

*ROFL* I can only imagine what that might make them say... a more common leak point on vehicles is the rear window seal or the trunk seal, if you want to get real high tech then remove all your carpet, dry it all out, place newspaper all over the trunk area and then pressure wash it

Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM

what effect does the newspaper have?

Quick Reply: Big time trunk problems