Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Is Car Wax required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Is Car Wax required?

Your idea of a never waxed car with 12 year old paint in "great condition" is a far cry from mine. I can't even imagine a car that abused. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. Saying wax or sealant (paint protection) is not required is dead wrong. I'll bet not one person here would agree with that.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Just Fyi, newbie does not equal dumb. I am a noob here and was just trying to help. Your entitled to your opinion. If it was too much info for you just ignore it. Simple questions can be answered diff ways..... So back to the subject......

Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 AM

Fair enough.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: leviathann

Just Fyi, newbie does not equal dumb. I am a noob here and was just trying to help. Your entitled to your opinion. If it was too much info for you just ignore it. Simple questions can be answered diff ways..... So back to the subject......
I agree with both of you from different angles. Noob does not equal dumb, agreed, but RTF is right for recommending a simple system. The OP is asking about wether or not to wax his new car. For the expected level of skill, given the question, I would not recommend Zaino, using a Porter-Cable, or even claybar. First the guy has to get a feel for a simple sealer or wax, thus Wet Paint is the perfect product for him. To go along with that, I recommend Stoner's Trim Shine because the Wet Paint will get into everything and the Trim Shine fixes that with a simple spray mist ..... the tC's grilles are a nightmare to clean ... all toothbrush work!

Anything beyond what I've included here, I'd expect would be paid for by a professinal detailer.

Another point that hasn't been mentioned. To the OP: Get a package of 16x16 microfiber cloths for detailing and buffing. Wet Paint requires 2 terry cloth rags/towels.

After you get the searer/wax that you desire, use detailer spray for normal cleaning and wash soap for when the car is really dirty. Turtle Wax Ultra Gloss is the easiest that I've found; Maguire's Ultimate Kwik Detailer is easy, but a little more difficult, but it gives the paint a Rain-Ex like water repellant effect; Mothers has a nicer shine than the previous 2, but takes a little effort and 2 rags; Voodoo Mojo has an excellent finish but also requires 2 rags and I like to buff it with a microfiber afterward (after the first 5 minutes, Mojo's spray sucks, but the product still works great).

Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. It was very helpful. Wet paint looks easy to use. I might try that.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 PM

It is very easy. Just make sure to use terry cloth for it and get the Trim Shine to help with the overspray cleanup.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Your idea of a never waxed car with 12 year old paint in "great condition" is a far cry from mine. I can't even imagine a car that abused. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. Saying wax or sealant (paint protection) is not required is dead wrong. I'll bet not one person here would agree with that.
It was garage kept and washed frequently all its life. Its obviously not in mint condition, but for its age its in the top 15%. I'd be willing to bet that most car owners dont wax their cars, unless its that "wax" that the car washes use.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM

leviathann, fwiw, i think that was a good post...

I just ordered some wet paint.. I'll be washing it next weekend and take before/after pictures.... it'll be great..

Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: tracemiller

Thanks everyone for the info. It was very helpful. Wet paint looks easy to use. I might try that.
Here's a little tip to help you that I learned. Don't spray the Wet Paint around intricate areas, areas where two sections join (door to fender for instance), or door handles. In those areas spray a little on the already damp towel you have been using and apply with that. This keeps the fine spray from getting into those cracks and crevices which can be a booger to remove later. It's remarkably easy to use just use common sense. The product is PINK so don't spray it into an area where it will be difficult to remove.......spray it on the towel and apply it to that area.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:53 PM

So for WP, you apply and then remove? right?

remove with a clean terry cloth right?

Quick Reply: Is Car Wax required?