Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Cleaning really dirty alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Default Cleaning really dirty alloy wheels

Well, my 98 Accord's alloy wheels were washed somewhat regularly but never really given the attention they truly needed. The wheels are now pretty dirty with I guess brake dust. I got most of it off with Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner and a towel. It got a lot off but there are still some very stubborn spots that won't come off with a towel.

Should I use an old tooth brush? I'm concerned the dedicated wheel brushes will be too abrasive.

What about cleaners? I know some of the cleaners are not safe for clearcoat finishes...which is what I have.

Is it too late to do anything?

Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Cleaning really dirty alloy wheels

I still swear that WD-40 will remove most any of that stuff.... Simple Green works wonders on brake dust and I've always used either an SOS pad (let the wd-40 or the simple green soak for a short bit...) and if it's REALLY bad you can try 000 Steel wool VERY lightly in a small cirlcle right over the area but the SOS pad should work fine.... Let us know!

Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM

It's possible that they are as clean as they'll get but need polishing. Are they clearcoated?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:07 PM

They're clearcoated according to his post.... do you still think my suggestions will work? I'm pretty sure it should but I guess they could be as clean as they'll get...

Old 03-22-2006, 05:42 PM

DUH! Guess I should learn to read, eh? I've never tried WD40 on wheels so I really don't know......sure couldn't hurt & sounds like it's worth a try. What I was leading up to was to try something like Mothers Powerball and some polish.

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

They're clearcoated according to his post.... do you still think my suggestions will work? I'm pretty sure it should but I guess they could be as clean as they'll get...

Old 03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

No, No, No, NO Guys...not the way to clean any wheels, not even the old steel wheels of years gone by..[sm=badidea.gif]

WheelBrokerAng

Old 03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Default NEW Reply To Cleaning Wheels

This post would concern the cleaning of Chrome Wheels:
Cleaning and maintaing your chrome plated wheels is quite simple, but You should take Precautions on what you use to clean them with.

It's always Best to Wait to clean your rims when your wheels have cooled off before applying any kind of Car Washing Soaps, Cleaners or Wax's. This is of a special concern with some spray - on wheel cleaners also, some of them m,ay contain acids...Read You Labels before you use them.

An Acidic wheel cleaner should never, never, NEVER be used on chrome, any cleaner with an Acid base will GAIN strength when heated (as in when your driving your Ride)-
Spraying on acid-type wheel cleaners onto warm or hot wheels will Discolor and Damage your Chrome finish.

Once you clean your wheels and get all the street trash off of them, then give them a nice coat of wax for protection..Stay away from any cleaner that has a penetrating action (such as P.B. Blaster, WD40 or anything close to these products which can also have an Abrasive Mix of them.

Hope this enlightens my Wheel Buddies here in the forum....

WheelBrokerAng...
[sm=bling.gif]

Old 03-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: NEW Reply To Cleaning Wheels

wheel broker its on for top poster lol

Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

This post would concern the cleaning of Chrome Wheels:
Cleaning and maintaing your chrome plated wheels is quite simple, but You should take Precautions on what you use to clean them with.

It's always Best to Wait to clean your rims when your wheels have cooled off before applying any kind of Car Washing Soaps, Cleaners or Wax's. This is of a special concern with some spray - on wheel cleaners also, some of them m,ay contain acids...Read You Labels before you use them.

An Acidic wheel cleaner should never, never, NEVER be used on chrome, any cleaner with an Acid base will GAIN strength when heated (as in when your driving your Ride)-
Spraying on acid-type wheel cleaners onto warm or hot wheels will Discolor and Damage your Chrome finish.

Once you clean your wheels and get all the street trash off of them, then give them a nice coat of wax for protection..Stay away from any cleaner that has a penetrating action (such as P.B. Blaster, WD40 or anything close to these products which can also have an Abrasive Mix of them.

Hope this enlightens my Wheel Buddies here in the forum....

WheelBrokerAng...
[sm=bling.gif]
The car was cold. It was 40 degress outside and 9am. The car wasn't driven since the day before. I washed the tires, then went to work on the wheels before washing the car.

I don't have chrome so how would go you about cleaning the stubborn stains on clear coated alloy wheels without destroying the clearcoat?

Old 03-23-2006, 10:26 AM

^
Good point, alloys w/clearcoat is the discussion, not chrome (although I wish I had them!).

Quick Reply: Cleaning really dirty alloy wheels