Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Clearcoat problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Default Clearcoat problems

I read about some clearcoat problems here on this site. Most of those were about problems in 1996. I bought my 2010 Accord in December, 2009. I park it in the garage at my condo. It is never left out overnite, but some dirty birds left two deposits on the hood this spring. I had the car washed as soon as I could and thought that residue from the bird droppings was left on the two spots where they were deposited. Yesterday, after having my car washed again, I noticed that the two "spots" were still on the hood. Upon closer examination, I saw that the paint was bubbling and the spots were not spots. I intend to take the car to the dealer Tuesday morning--it is 4th of July weekend--to have the service people take a look. Any advice?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM

I dont think you would develop problems overnight... And seems like honda has gotten thier act together...Lol..

Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Default Same thing...

I, too, have a 2010 Accord that I purchased in Dec 09. Bird droppings have eaten straight through to the metal of the car. I've had 4 Accords, never having a paint problem before. I have taken my car to the dealership and they've excused the problem to acidic poop. I've taken my car back a second time now for wet leaves being able to "eat" through the paint. Not sure what my options are, but dealing with paint issues on a brand new car is extremely frustrating. I believe there's a default in 2010's clearcoat job, too...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

acid poop is real. I was just reading about problems with vultures. You may "scare" them, but you may not kill them. The article pointed out that the poop is very acidic. It will eat through your paint and will even kill the trees where they roost. I imagine that all bird poop is acidic to varrying degrees. It is too late for you, but we should all take immediate action on bird droppings as soon as noticed. No ****.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Had bird droopings put nasty spots on my convertable top..have to have the top re dyed...Red Bird poop from a cran berry tree..not cranberry but some kind of Red Berry tree. lol

Cran Apple

Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Real sorry to hear about the clearcoat troubles you've had.
While I don't know the exact circumstance of your situation and how long it was there for, I can tell you from personal experience that Bird droppings are extremely acidic and can eat through your clearcoat immediately.

You should always wipe it off as soon as it happens, certainly the same day. The longer you wait, the more likely it will damage your paint. Don't wait until the next car wash. A hot, sunny deal also makes it worse. The sun bakes it further into your car's finish.

And I can't stress enough, WAX, WAX, WAX your car early and often! The more wax buildup you have on your paint, the more resistant the finish is to bird droppings and other damaging things in the environment.

It's great that you have a garage, but most damage from the elements occur during the day, not at night. The sun and birds - each is bad, but together they're a lethal combo.

Best of luck.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 AM

Just get opti-guard and never have this problem again. It's worth the investment.