Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Getting it ready for prom!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Getting it ready for prom!

Well my gf's prom is the 19th and I have to shiny up the Accord.

Its a mess, super dirty, 3 hubcaps, and one of the ***** for the AC/Heat broke. Never seen it this bad before
So, I plan on fixing the ****!
Figuring out how we will pull up to the red carpet to get announced as we walk in so I can have hubcaps on that side!
And have it all shiny!

Army:
Mothers Clay Bar Kit
Meguiars NXT car wash
Meguiars NXT liquid paste wax
and the other interior/exterior stuff.

There is a 40% chance of rain Thursday-Saturday so I would like to get the outside done on Wednesday. Do you think the shine will hold up from Wed. until Saturday? It has quite a few swirl marks so I got a new wash mitt. Will those be gone?
Any tips w/ the clay bar? Can I wax it right after? How aboutwaxing it twice?and all those lovely questions.

Thanks guys!
Well, RTexas in advance

EDIT: Just opened it and realized it came w/ a small bottle of cleaner wax that says it removes oxidation. Should I only use this wax, or should I use the NXT wax or a combo? My hood has a few tiny white spots where I think it may be starting to oxidize. Does the NXT remove oxidation too?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Default RE: Getting it ready for prom!

Well I can't say for certain what order to do the detail in but I'd go with Claybar (if it needs it), wash, rinse, wax, then pickup a bottle of quickshine/show shine stuff (like wet paint) and if it's not raining then use it before you pick her up to ensure that you have a nice sheen to it. Or drop some cash and rent a limo *L*

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 PM

Unless it looks awful I'd pull all the hubcaps off or get four el cheapos at Wal-Mart or Pep Boys. Wash, clay, then apply/remove the NXT twice - it will help cover the swirls and rough clear coat areas. It's gonna be nightfor the promcorrect? Spend more time on the inside and make SURE it smells clean. Wash mitts don't remove swirl marksso don't sweat them. If you're pressed for time blow off the clay and do more coats of the NXT synthetic wax. No need for cleaner wax now just go with the NXT andclean extragood on the glass inside and out. Rain or not it will look clean and make you feel better about driving it. You're not going for a full detail here....the idea is to make it look good (inside and out) in a short time. The NXT will blow you away on your color car. Don't forget to dress the tires.

Have a good time, be a gentleman, and be careful.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Well I can't say for certain what order to do the detail in but I'd go with Claybar (if it needs it), wash, rinse, wax, then pickup a bottle of quickshine/show shine stuff (like wet paint) and if it's not raining then use it before you pick her up to ensure that you have a nice sheen to it. Or drop some cash and rent a limo *L*
Uh oh. Is there a certain condition that your car needs to be in in order to use the clay bar?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Unless it looks awful I'd pull all the hubcaps off or get four el cheapos at Wal-Mart or Pep Boys. Wash, clay, then apply/remove the NXT twice - it will help cover the swirls and rough clear coat areas. It's gonna be nightfor the promcorrect? Spend more time on the inside and make SURE it smells clean. Wash mitts don't remove swirl marksso don't sweat them. If you're pressed for time blow off the clay and do more coats of the NXT synthetic wax. No need for cleaner wax now just go with the NXT andclean extragood on the glass inside and out. Rain or not it will look clean and make you feel better about driving it. You're not going for a full detail here....the idea is to make it look good (inside and out) in a short time. The NXT will blow you away on your color car. Don't forget to dress the tires.

Have a good time, be a gentleman, and be careful.
I will keep the hubcaps on ive decided. I will put them on the side that everyone will see so it wont matter! I just better put them on the right side! haha I am thinking about taking off my stupid yellow seat covers! I am planning on getting racing seats anyways this summer and tint to hide the backseats. Some people like the yellow and think its awesome! Others dont! Hmmm....

Time wise: I can do it Wednesday, however there is a 30-40% chance of showers on Thursday, Fri., and Saturday, so I didnt know if it would even be worth it if it ends up raining to spend so much time on the exterior. If so, I will probably get it perfect on Wed. then do touchups on Saturday before prom.

I have had a nice lambskin wash mitt for quite some time and I am thinking stuff has gotten embedded and created the swirl marks when I washed it. But I have a new one now.
I have used the NXT a few times and your right...it looks good! I have put 2 coats on only one time and it was even better! I will put 2 coats on, but can I do one right after another?

Windows - Stoners Glass cleaner w/ microfiber cloth
Carpets - Turtle Wax carpet cleaner (smells great)
Tires - F21 tire foam stuff
Trim - F21 vinyl cleaner stuff
Dash -I will have to see what I have
Exhaust - Stainless Steel cleaner
Music - Eh, might make a prom mix

Effects - I will have the neons on inside the car 8-) No bass though...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

If your girl friend wants to really go in style...have her pop for a Avis Rental Car...Just kidding of course..Or am I !

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

If your girl friend wants to really go in style...have her pop for a Avis Rental Car...Just kidding of course..Or am I !

WheelBrokerAng
haha She doesnt really care what we go in.

But that is a pleasant idea!

However, my dad promised me he would let me take the Lil' Red out for a date or an event like this. Now, though he "forgets" promising that. I dont know why, I wouldnt race, I would park literally a mile from anyone else, and if anyone touched it they would lose a finger. Rolling up in the truck would be SWEET!!!!

Isnt ours, but I couldnt find a decent pic and this one sucks too! lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/712242F24D924B6186132F8E51E534F4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Uh oh. Is there a certain condition that your car needs to be in in order to use the clay bar?
No.. I clay a new car .. best first step in detailing

Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Jesstzn

Agreed, all I am saying is that in this particular instance you would benefit more from an extra layer or two of NXTthan clay. Clay will certainly clean the contaminants and make the surface smooth but it will also EXPOSE the swirls that you want to hide with the NXT. Why do that now? It's kinda pointless, save that step for another time when you have more time. Even if it does rain the car will clean up easier on Saturday so go for it.

Yes you can put two or more coats of the NXT on one right after the other. The next day it will look even better asall the components bond to the paint.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: RTexasF

ORIGINAL: Jesstzn

Agreed, all I am saying is that in this particular instance you would benefit more from an extra layer or two of NXTthan clay. Clay will certainly clean the contaminants and make the surface smooth but it will also EXPOSE the swirls that you want to hide with the NXT. Why do that now? It's kinda pointless, save that step for another time when you have more time.With spider webs/marks/marring you have two choices: machine polish (remove them)or hide them. You don't have a machine so the answer is obvious.Even if it does rain the car will clean up easier on Saturday so go for it.

Yes you can put two or more coats of the NXT on one right after the other. The next day it will look even better asall the components bond to the paint.

Quick Reply: Getting it ready for prom!