Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Ground-in dirt in carpets

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM
grrlscout
Unregistered
Default Ground-in dirt in carpets

My 95 has some of that funky ground-in dirt from 14 years of usage. Any way to blast this crap out? I'm gonna go try the pressure hose at the car wash, but give it a good scrub with the upholstery stuff with a strong brush first.

Is there a better way, or a more successful way? The carpets are gray, btw. The floor mats are going to get blasted either today or tomorrow but I dunno what to do about the carpets just inside. Guess I'll leave them, or grab the upholstery cleaner and hope for the best...

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM

My accord's tan upholstery looked more like dark brown with black streaks when I bought it. Someone had used it to sling parts and the interior looked like hell throughout. Nothing a little turtle wax power out didn't clean. http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,16

Be prepared to use a LOT of elbow grease. The best way to take the lifted dirt out I found was to scrape the liquid out and dab it dry with a shop/paper towel. The blue towels on the roll work awesome, I would recommend those. If you have a strong wet/dry vac I assume you could cut out the scraping.

Best of luck to you and your dirt.

Last edited by Darthanis; 05-11-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
grrlscout
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions! Elbow grease to the max, yeah. Yesterday was just that. I went through the dash yesterday and cleaned out all the things that I don't even wanna know what they used to be. The carpets are still another story. The mats are easiest since you can just take them out and scrub and spray them to hell on the ground. But the carpets are hard to get to. But like you said, it'll take a lot of elbow grease.

Thanks for the suggestion about Turtle Wax. I'm not using that brand, but something similar with the plastic brush. But I think I may switch to Turtle Wax, because I'm still willing to try other home remedies. Someone I know mentioned vinegar and hot water. I know vinegar cleans a lot of stuff, and I've heard of it being mixed with water in home wet/dry vac, so...

There's a car wash down the road and I think they offer deep steam cleaning for carpets. Gonna try them as last ditch effort. I just at least want the nasty brown to where the interior of my car doesn't look like a grey and brown cow blew up in it.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I recently pressure washed my mats and the interior carpet... obviously you have to actually take the carpet out to this, but I had some time and it was worth it.

Any self-serve car wash should work, they even have soap and a brush!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM
grrlscout
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
I recently pressure washed my mats and the interior carpet... obviously you have to actually take the carpet out to this, but I had some time and it was worth it.

Any self-serve car wash should work, they even have soap and a brush!
Believe it or not, I've thought about doing this! Just need to do some reading about removing the seats and stuff to get the carpet out. And, I might just replace the carpet if I go that far. The car seems worth it.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Keep in mind that brand new molded carpet is about $150 + shipping. If you have no wear spots, just stain I'd try cleaning it or redying it, first.

Basically the seats (4 bolts), the door sill panels, and the rear seat need to come, plus the center console and a few other odds and ends. It's a little awkward getting it in and out.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

There are far better products out there than Turtle Wax to remove stains that seem like yours. Of course, I forget the product I used to get my stains out. sry

Anyways, it was a powder and no other product I had ever used came close. All you did was powder on, let it sit, brush, powder, and vacuum.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You could also try Oxi-Clean, things like that

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM

I removed the entire carpet from my wagon after I bought it. Sprayed it down with the hose. Used TuffStuff carpet cleaner from AZ on it. Brushed that in, let sit, sprayed off. Then I sprayed it down with straight Simple Green , let sit, sprayed off. It seemed to work great.

Taking the carpet out is fairly simple. If I remember, it's a 12 or 14mm socket to take the four bolts out of each seat. Then two plugs under the drivers seat for the power seats. You have to take the bottom off the seatbelts on both sides, as well as the plastic door sills(they snap in place) The carpet is around the back of the console (behind the radio/ashtray part? so you'll have to cut it there to get the whole thing out.

Hope this info helps some lol

Old 05-14-2009, 04:05 PM

honestly...get BAM..it works on everything

Quick Reply: Ground-in dirt in carpets