Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

HAIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Default HAIL

So i was fortunate enough to get stuck on the interstate when a hailstorm hit fort worth today.
Muchos gracias Senora Weather.

Well anywhos seeing that happened to my baby can almsot make me cry. I was just sitting in the car not caring what can happen to myself but worrying bout the dents i might get. Sure enough i got plenty.

So heres a question. Anyway to fix the dents. Most likely really cheap fix. Does the dry ice thing really work? Suction cup dent popper? Im pretty much broke cause i have no job and it's not major enough to concern my dad. PLEASE HELP ME This really doesnt help when im trying to keep the car looking as nice as i can.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:16 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: HAIL

Sorry to hear that

Havent you contacted your insurance about this? Getting dents removed an be pretty expensive....ecspecially if you have a lot.
As for the dry ice thing, I am not sure. I posted that, and really want to know! But it has to be hot outside for it to work. I would try it on a junk car first

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:34 PM

The only problem with insurance is you have to worry about that pesky deductible. Lots of insurance companies will first look into "paintless dent repair," which is a lot cheaper than the way dents used to be repaired. I'm really not sure how they do this, I'venever seen it demonstrated before. I would probably report it to my insurance company. I can almost guarantee you they will find the cheapest and best fix. Trust me I know. I am an insurance adjuster.
Oh yeah. I don't know if this thing works, but they still sell that "pops-a-dent" thing. Here's a link to one for under $20 http://www.giftfindonline.com/pops-a-dent.html
I don't know if you would be throwing your money away though. I know a lot of those "as seen on tv" things are pieces of crap.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

lol i think its funny, that in that product you linked to, they use hot glue to bond the popper and metal of the car! haha They makes it seem kinda cheap to me....

Try googling it dude, I am sure many of people have been stuck in the same situation and have come up with cost friendly solutions.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Paintless dent repair works, but it depends on the skill of the guy doin it. I put a dent in the rear quarter panel of my M3. I was getting some bowling ***** out of the trunk, they swung around my shoulder, and voila. Anyway, I called a couple of dealers and asked who they used. I live in a small town, and they all referred me to the same guy.

He pulled the liner down in the trunk to press the dent out using a blunt ended steel pole. Using a mirror attached to a suction cup placed at different points on the vehicle, he was able to get it to match the lines of the car. Did a hell of a job. Cost me $35.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: smaglik

Paintless dent repair works, but it depends on the skill of the guy doin it. I put a dent in the rear quarter panel of my M3. I was getting some bowling ***** out of the trunk, they swung around my shoulder, and voila. Anyway, I called a couple of dealers and asked who they used. I live in a small town, and they all referred me to the same guy.

He pulled the liner down in the trunk to press the dent out using a blunt ended steel pole. Using a mirror attached to a suction cup placed at different points on the vehicle, he was able to get it to match the lines of the car. Did a hell of a job. Cost me $35.
Ive seen this done at some of our local car dealers also in my area of Ohio..
Works really well:

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-16-2007, 06:19 PM

What? Are you making fun of "Pops-a-dent"? But the tv commercial makes it look like it works so well! By hot glue are you referring to their "patent pending adhesive system"?
HAHA. Just kidding. I know... that thing looks like a peice of crap. I wanted to put the link on here in case anyone would say it works because I have never heard either way. It looks like a decent concept, but I think that is a "too-good-to-be-true" product.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:23 AM

ive seen videos of the paintless dent removal being done and it looks like it really works if done by a skilled person. i jsut think with so many little dents the price might add up to alot especially because i have dents on my hood, my roof, my trunk and the right fender. i need some kind of emergency protection in case it happens again.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The emergnecy protection is your insurance policy. I think you have to make a claim on this. Explain it to your dad in terms of reseal value. The car's value is diminished greatly with the hail damage, and well worth the deductible, unless you are goign to drive it until the point where the paint and finish doesnt matter. A comp claim 'shouldnt' impact your rates, assuming the rest of your record is prety good.

When I was insured by Progressive, they would send me an email every time there was a Tornado or Severe Thunderstorm Warning for my county, asking if I had any damage to report. Luckily, I never did. Unfortunately, they thought I should pay 20% more every year, so I had to switch.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM

I agree with Smaglik. I would report it to my insurance. If there is that much damage you would more than likely pay more than your deductible to get it repaired correctly. Of course, I don't know what your deductible is, but if it is anywhere from $250 to $500 I would repost it to the insurance &scrape up $ forthe deductible.An Insurance Companywill make sure it is repaired to your satisfaction.
And asSmaglik said it "shouldn't" make your rates increase. Call your insurance agent (if you have one) or the company (if you buy direct from them and don't use an agent) and ask them if a hail damage claim will make your rate increase. If they tell you "no it won't" make sure you write down the person's name who told you your rate wouldn't increase. That way if they try to come back on you in a year or two with a rate increase for the hail damage claim, you can tell them "well so-and-so told me that my rates wouldn't go up because of the hail damage claim." If they still increase your rate you need to get a different insurance company.

Quick Reply: HAIL