Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Hail damage

Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Default Hail damage

So I just bought a 2001 Accord Sedan; I got a great deal on it partly due to the fact it had hail damage across the hood, roof, and trunk. The damage isn't terrible, and I honestly could live with it because nobody really notices unless I point it out, but I would like to get them out eventually.

Does anyone know a cost-effective way/company that does this sort of thing? I will try to post some pictures later, I live in Charlotte, NC so anyone that knows about anything around here that would be great. I would like to keep it under $500 if possible, but I do really want a good job so if I need to spend more, I might just have to suck it up.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Hail damage

paintless dent repair (PDR) is NOT cheap.... IMO, it's rarely worth it..

Last I was quoted it was $75-120 per dent, depending on the size and location. Most of my dents I was told could NOT be removed via PDR and required a new panel/door-skin (it was on some of the rigid lines along the side... worst thing honda could have done is put a ridge right where car doors hit )

How big are these dents? I've seen some videos about using compressed air cans to pop out larger ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNyk...eature=related

Could also try somethin like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVpvL_FpoQ
don't know what kind of results this kind of product really yields...

a friend of my dad said he once used a plunger on one.. seemed ghey, but who knows.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM

They are really tiny little dents, the largest ones are maybe half and inch across and not very deep at all. I really am the only person who notices it, but I am ****
There are probably a couple hundred dents across the hood, trunk and roof.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM

I witnessed a friend's truck having thehail dents removed with liquid nitrogen. This was a pro shop that specialized in that technique and it was 100% successful. Might be worth looking in your area for that.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:21 PM

Hmm, I would almost be scared to try it, though if it works...

Old 06-27-2008, 04:41 PM

I had never heard of it but it did work without question so ???????????????

Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Have any of you seen the trick of heating up the dent w/ a hairdryer and then spraying a can of compressed air upsiude down on the dent immediately afterwards? Saw it on youtube and would like to know if it works bc i have a few dents. Does anyone know if it would harm the paint?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 PM

The compressed air trick would be the exact same as using the dry ice. I did a little research and found out why: when the metal heats up, the molecules start moving faster (high school chemistry anyone? it's been a while for me...) when you cool it quickly by either using dry ice or creating a pressure change in the compressed air which makes it super cold, it slows down the molecules almost instantly which causes them to bond together basically squeezing the dent out.
I watched a video of it in action and read up on it a bunch. I'm gonna try it sometime soon so I can be the guinea pig for you guys. I'll post some before and after pictures once I do it. By the way, apparently it only works on smaller hail size dents, it doesn't work as well with the larger ones.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 PM

oh, and the purpose of heating it up first just makes the reaction when you super-cool it more extreme so there is a greater chance the dent pulls out. Same reason cold water boils faster than hot water.
You don't need to have the hair-dryer, my good old 100 degree NC sun should be plenty for me; I don't want to risk damaging the clear coat with a hair dryer.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:13 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I would LOVE to see before and after pics. I desperately need to get a few dents out and if it works I will try it out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hail damage