Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Default LEDs

as far as installing strips in the trunk around my subs. how does one go about doing that. or near the flour under the back seat. where should i draw my power from?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 AM

get long wire and hook it up to your battery and make a spot for a switch to turn led on or off.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:12 AM

well i was hoping i could set it up to just turn on with the car. possible at all?
i also purchased some led turn signals for my mirrors as far as hooking those up does anyone know where i could get some general direction?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can wire the leds into an ignition hot wire, one goes to the radio and another one should be on the ignition switch.

The turn signals would have to be wired to the turn signals in the headlights I would think, or some point after the flasher.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 AM

anyone have any idea what the colors of these wires are and how i could locate them? pictures or anything would be helpful. i'd say i'm pretty intuitive when it comes to electronics i just need a shove in the right direction.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM

well the wire on your led signals.just get a big roll of that!somewhere on the forum there is instructions on how to take of your mirror.i have those tried to hook em up and gave up.u need a good snake to get the wire through the mirror.GL

Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You dont need to post the same question twice. And it doesnt even make sense to put it in the detailing forum.

I think I would do research before buying stuff like this. All you need to do is wire it into the cigarette lighter. 12V. Already fused. Comes on when the car is on/off when the car is off.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
You dont need to post the same question twice. And it doesnt even make sense to put it in the detailing forum.

I think I would do research before buying stuff like this. All you need to do is wire it into the cigarette lighter. 12V. Already fused. Comes on when the car is on/off when the car is off.
Wiring through the cigarette lighter is just being lazy. His LEDs will probably draw an extra 20-30W and I have no idea what that outlet is fused at. If you plug in something that sucks power, you may just blow the fuse. You can tap into a switched 12V at the fuse boxes on either side of the of the dash.

As far as wiring the turn signals, the mirrors should already have wire pigtails sticking through the hole. Just butt splice those wires to longer wires and feed them through the firewall (pleanty of places to do this) and then splice them into the turn signal wires leading to the bulb. That would be the easiest way, and the power draw from each mirror is probably like 3W max.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys. and yeah i know i didn't mean to post it in detailing that was my bad so i tried to correct it.

anywho, finding the fuse box you say is located on either side of the dash.. is that fairly simple to access etc? and those led strips will really draw 20-30 watts?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM

i didnt know leds drew that much power. well when you open up the fuse box on either side, look at the diagram on the back of the panel and find something that turns on with the ignition (for example i used the power side view mirrors). then remove the fuse, and using a test light find which side hot. you need to put your positive wire from the leds into the FUSED side, not the hot side. otherwise the fuse would be useless. then just ground the negative wire and BAM you're good

i would actually recommend you wire it to a switch, so you can turn them on and off. this is a little more complicated, but heres an easy diagram. just replace the battery with fuse you will be tapping into

Last edited by botang47; 02-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: LEDs