Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Default My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

Hi,
I have a 2005 Accord Coupe V6 ( 6 months old. 5000 miles on it). The problem started about a month ago.
Whenever I switch on the Air Conditioner, for the first 2 minutes a foul smell comes out of the blower.
The smell is so pungent, that I have to open my windows.
During my 1st oil change at the Honda Dealer, I brought this thing into his notice. He advised me to open the Air Vent when I switch on the AC. Well, that didnt help at all.
What could be the problem ? What should I do ?
Your help will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Default RE: My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

Your car should still be under warranty, go back to the dealer and demand that they fix the problem. Don't back down, because if you don't get it documented while the car is under warranty (at least) you won't get it fixed. I have a friend that has a problem with his floor, it leaks water. He took it to the dealer and they told him some crap, and now the car isn't under warranty anymore. If he doesn't find the paperwork, he can't get it fixed under warranty.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 PM

check and make sure that ur freind riding in the seat next to u's feet dont smell... or that could be the problem right there...

Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 PM

yeah

Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 PM

until you get that filter replaced just throw some of those air filters that clip into the vents on there and it will help dramatically.... then replace that filter asap.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:06 PM

Thank you All for the advice.

I went to the dealer, and according to him, its the problem faced by many Honda users (and even Merc users).
He suggested me to do the following :

Turn on the Heat to max. and open the windows, while you are running the car. This might kill the bacteria and probably solve the problem temporarily. However, if this doesnt work out, then I might have to call American Honda and contest with them.

So far, I have done this twice, which kinda solves the problem. But the strange thing is, Why isn't this problem in all Honda Accords, but only in my car ? Arent all cars made in same manuf. unit ?

new_oldHonda Owner : What have you done so far ?

Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 PM

have you had a chance or tried to replace that filter? I've got 3 honda's and never had an issue with foul smells in them 94 civic, 94 accord, 81 civic... however I did have a 95 Grand AM that had this issue but it turned out that because of the winter snow some people had gotten water in the car which went under the floor mats and created a bacteria of sorts... I just pulled out the floormats, sprayed the floor with some disinfectant and febreeze and the smell was gone quickly... Have you replaced the cabin air filter?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:01 AM

Why is your car growing bacteria? Is the smell a moldy type smell? If so you might have a clogged evaporator drain.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did they replace the CABIN FILTER ??? if not,, Politely ask them to replace the filter...tell them that the problem still exists no matter what you try...and if after installing a new filter the problem is still there, they might have to remove the evap and clean it ..Does anyone who rides ( drives) wear a lot of porfume ?? i have found that, thst is one of the most common problem that air from vents smells afoul, especially if they use recerculate all the time ,,

who did you talk to ? service adviser?? tech ? ...

Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 AM

my ac doesnt work at all and i have no idea whats wrong wit it

Quick Reply: My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help