Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Paint Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Paint Restoration

The majority of the paint on my 04 accord is pretty good but the hood is very oxidized and looks like it has swirl scratches close up. I just washed, clay bared my entire car except the hood. What methods and products do you guys recommend to restore the paint?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member

Boy-O-Boy that's a mess. I can't help you with it..but maybe one of our painter members can chime in and help you out.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Paint Restoration-marines.jpg   Paint Restoration-564233_370519969692360_2086787007_n.jpg  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I used to work for a detail shop. While it's hard to tell from a photo how thick or thin your paint is at this point, there are 3 possible options depending on the condition:

1. Your best option is to try having it buffed out with a high-speed buffer and good buffing compound. Contrary to what many believe, you shouldn't let just any random guy at carwash/ detail shop use a high speed buffer on your car. Not everyone knows what they're doing, and can burn through your paint very easily. Especially if it's really thin at this point.
And whether it works or not, it WILL remove a slight layer of clearcoat off your paint. That's just how it works.
Have you taken care of the vehicle's paint over the years, waxing it regularly over the years since 2004? The hood is the most prone to oxidization, fading, etc. It takes the most beating.
If not, then your paint / clear coat finish is probably pretty thin at this point.

2. If the paint is really thin, you can try doing a hard polish on it. It requires a lot of elbow grease, and may not do much good. It requires the same polish, but you apply it by hand, but apply it really, really hard. And it may take several applications. And still may not produce any results. Depends on the condition of the hood.

3. The last option of course, is that it can't be restored. If all else fails, it may just need to be repainted.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 AM

The problem related to paints does not occur unless and until you mishandle your vehicle. If the paint has been damaged, get it fixed from an expert so that it will be durable afterwords.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member

Originally Posted by MischellRobins
The problem related to paints does not occur unless and until you mishandle your vehicle. If the paint has been damaged, get it fixed from an expert so that it will be durable afterwords.
Why not make your post in the new member area later too let us know who you are and where your from..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I say put a layer of vinyl on it lol. That hood definitely needs a repaint. Or you can try and buff on it and get some good practice? Any way you cut it though a buffer won't get all that stuff out. You're clearcoat is gone where the paint has faded out to the whitish color, was the paint originally black?

Also I want to add that a guy i know had a black civic with the same problem and it was a 2006. The hood oxidized in northern ohio (which is NOT a place where that should happen in less than a decade) He took it to the dealers to complain and they didn't do squat...

Last edited by kozlo; 11-07-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM

You should look into A federal class action lawsuit has been filed against Honda claiming its 2003-2007 Accords and Civics have defective paint that delaminates, causing the vehicles to appear faded or to have peeling paint.
Honda paint was horrible those years, it is not a "mishandling" issue.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ccarney
You should look into A federal class action lawsuit has been filed against Honda claiming its 2003-2007 Accords and Civics have defective paint that delaminates, causing the vehicles to appear faded or to have peeling paint.
Honda paint was horrible those years, it is not a "mishandling" issue.
Thanks for this post. You just saved me a few hundred bucks, I might have to wait on this and see how the lawsuit pans out. I have some paint issues with the back part of my car where it appears to be peeling off...

Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default paint

my wife's 97 accord is looking bad,the clear looks like it coming off.We live in Atlant Ga, and most of the hondas around us look the same. Money is tight.If I could I would have it recleared or painted,Honda makes a great car but their paint jobs SUCK

Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Living in the south plays in too. Clearcoat gets eaten by the constant UV light down south in the nicer weather...

Quick Reply: Paint Restoration