Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Simoniz System 5 and Future Wax Overs?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
cznite
Unregistered
Default Simoniz System 5 and Future Wax Overs?

I had mydealer apply the Simoniz System 5 (Contains Teflon) applied at deliveryto my 2008 Honda Accord V6-L-NAV in light Silver. I went for the option because I one had a nice Firebird that got severely watermarked less than a month after it was new. A simple 30 second rain shower fell on the hot car that was parked in the sun. I could never get those water marks out.

Anyway, I had the Teflon applied by the same dealer when I picked my 98 Accord. I always waxed that one with Carnuba or Carnuba blends. That car always looks like new because I waxed it every 3-4 months andgaraged daily.

I enjoy waxing my cars and although my 2008 has only 500 miles on it I would like to wax it for the first time in sometime in April.

>>>> Should I look for a teflon based polymer wax, a good polymer wax or go back to the Carnuba blends???

I was thinking I might lose the effect of the teflondirt shedding effect if I go to something other than a teflon containing product. My dealer says I shouldn't do anything for up to 5 years.

What do you think???

NEW UPDATE to My Original Post

I purchased a Simoniz 5 Teflon treatment via e-Bay, as someone suggested. I washed the car (with the special Simoniz wash provided in the kit). Then I applied the second coat of the Siminoz 5 protectant over my dealer applied "original Simoniz 5". (No Machine Buffing) Wow!
What I now have is a "super slipperly finish " that even sheds bugs with a slight brush or stream of water. The car beads water like my dealer applied version failed to do.

In the past there months of ownership I have garaged the car and kept it very clean putting only about 1500 miles on because of some surgery. I do not believe, I have trapped in any residual dirt as a result of my additional application. I plan to update this teflon treatment should the finish begin to lose its slipperly feel or water-beading qualities. Perhaps before winter...

By the way I am pleased that my 2008 Accord still retains the strong metal flake depth, as some products. I read. can reduce the metal flake look.

>>>>> I have also tested several well-known Waxes and Protectants on my wife's 2005 CR-V (Light Silver).
I have tried Liquid Paint, Merguires Next Gen, Carnuba wax and Collinite. I will report on these later as I am still evaluating wear and looks such as depth of shine over time.

So far, the Siminoz 5 treatments, I described,is my reccommendation for a brand-new vechicle.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: Simoniz System 5 and Future Wax Overs?

You can buy the system 5 car wash & sealant for less than $20 on e-bay. Why not just use that?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I wouldn't wax it for a while to let the paint completely dry. My grandpa waxed his street rod a few months after it was painted and some parts of the car started to bubble because the wax sealed the paint and wouldn't let the gases out. I have no clue if this applies to factory painted cars, just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM

It does not, once you get the car the paint is cured. The dealer has already sealed the paint so applying wax or sealant is fine..

Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I retract my previous statement! My grandpa usually gets about 4 coats of clear on his cars for an incredibly deep look, that must be the reason.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 AM

No, your statement has merit. There is a difference between a local shop doing custom paint and a factory paint job which is cured with heat. I wouldn't touch custom paint for 90 days other than hand washing.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM

The only advantage teflon has is its a selling feature. Teflon to be of benifit has to bond to the paint and the temperatures required to do that are higher than the paint can endure.

Nothing is going to stop water spots .. all your going to have is water spots on the sealant instead of the paint.

>>>> Should I look for a teflon based polymer wax, a good polymer wax or go back to the Carnuba blends???

I was thinking I might lose the effect of the teflondirt shedding effect if I go to something other than a teflon containing product. My dealer says I shouldn't do anything for up to 5 years.

What do you think???

The teflon isn't going to shed anything that any sealant wouldn't.

And if you don't do anything for 5 years like the dealer says and your paint is all oxidized and contaminated will the warranty fix it all up for you?

Does your warranty state it has to be refreshed or redone once a year by them to keep the warranty valid?

Hate to pop your bubble but the dealer has so many outs on this warranty that nothing will be done if you run into issues.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jesstzn

The only advantage teflon has is its a selling feature. Teflon to be of benifit has to bond to the paint and the temperatures required to do that are higher than the paint can endure.

Nothing is going to stop water spots .. all your going to have is water spots on the sealant instead of the paint.

What do you think???

The teflon isn't going to shed anything that any sealant wouldn't.

And if you don't do anything for 5 years like the dealer says and your paint is all oxidized and contaminated will the warranty fix it all up for you?

Does your warranty state it has to be refreshed or redone once a year by them to keep the warranty valid?

Hate to pop your bubble but the dealer has so many outs on this warranty that nothing will be done if you run into issues.
Agreed, it's a moneymaker for the dealership. Read the fine print to find out how many times it needs to go back to the dealer for added work.....at your expense.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
SHAWNB0Y
Unregistered

Simoniz System 5 is worth the money, because of the warranty that is included. The only stipulation that it has is that for interior stains you have to make the attempt to get the stain out while it is still wet and whatever caused the stain has to have been a consumable product (not axle grease). I have never seen anybody ever turned down for a claim. Try getting the hood of your car repainted for less than the cost of the warranty, it won't happen. Have one of kids drop some fries orafruit drinkin the back seat see how much that cost to recover. Ever have a drunk college buddy in your car? Did they leave any stains? Would've been covered.

After 5 years your car will still look good, it won't fade faster, it won't stain easier. It just means the warranty ran out. No manufacturer has a warranty on there paint. That is why they arrive at the dealerships wrapped in plastic.

As far as what to use afterwards Simonize has a spray on wash off wax that is pretty simple to use if you want. I think its called diamond hard or something along those lines.

I'm not a chemical engineer nor a lawyer so I can't rebuff the comments like "Teflon to be of benifit has to bond to the paint and the temperatures required to do that are higher than the paint can endure" and I am sure a physicist that got paid a ton of money to create this product probably would have seen that coming.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 AM

In all honesty I don't think it matters what type of wax you use on it. A good carnauba would certainly add to the look and protect as well. Don't believe the load they are feeding you about not doing anything for five years.

Here's a review I did on one recently and it turned out to be worth the price:

http://elitecm.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=74

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Simoniz System 5 and Future Wax Overs?