Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Vinyl Scuffs on Glove Box/Under Part of Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Default Vinyl Scuffs on Glove Box/Under Part of Dash

hey all,

ive developed a few scuffs on the glove box door and the underside of the dash on the drivers side from shoes when my passengers and i get out of the car.

when cleaning the interior, i just use a clean microfiber cloth and it does a good job of bringing out any dirt marks and other "scuffs", though not like these (i have black on black interior)

can anyone recommend any products to use? ive just done the basic, soap/water and wet towel with a little elbow grease to no success.

thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Vinyl Scuffs on Glove Box/Under Part of Dash

Are they actual scratches or just stains? I've used a product called Max Clean to get that stuff out and it works good. It's very similar to foam shoe cleaner that smells like citrus/oranges. On my darker interior colors it gives the trim a "dried out" look which I used some stuff called Ardex Details, but Armor All should do the trick. Sorry, for the odd chemicals, I have connections in the detailing biz, haha.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 AM

not stains, or really scratches... best i can describe is a scuff mark, its from the soles of my shoes (and other peoples) rubbing against the glove box whenwe step out of the car.

someone told me an all purpose cleaner like 409 or Simple Green and soft brush. i just dont want to use any products that (a) wont take out the scuffs and (b) will change the finish on the material and surface

Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Paint/laquer thinner will work. Just put some on a rag and rub gently. Dont rub hard or it will discolor your panels. But yeah, it works

Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Use it with a soapy solution and no more pressure than necessary to remove the marks. It's slightly abrasive so no scrubbing!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Use it with a soapy solution and no more pressure than necessary to remove the marks. It's slightly abrasive so no scrubbing!
Just be careful with it .. read this post in a VW forum .. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3826488

So try it in an inconspicuous area first on like material.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Good point. User caution is a requirement. I've had very good luck with it on customer's (and my own) cars but I make SURE to go ultra easy and always with a soapy solution.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM

thanks for the responses guys. im gonna try the Simple Green method this weekend and see what happens. if no luck, i'll try something like the Magic Eraser. either way, will let you all know how it turns out.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM

well, no real luck with the 409 /brush combo... i'll post some pics this weekend so you can see specifically what im talking about. im a little apprehensive about using that Magic Eraser

Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Just use it it's not friggin sandpaper. I use it on Cadillac leather on a regular basiswith no negatives whatsoever. Let the common sense gene kick in and don't scrub likeyou're cleaning a sink! Just do it!

Quick Reply: Vinyl Scuffs on Glove Box/Under Part of Dash