Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Answers. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/)
-   -   Replacement key question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/replacement-key-question-31547/)

rwall 03-24-2010 07:05 PM

Replacement key question

Hi all - new to this site, and it looks like there are a lot of really knowlegable folks here, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have an '04 Accord LX, and one of my keys broke. As in, the plastic cracked and the metal key fell off. I'd like to replace it, but the dealer is telling me I have to pay a fee, even if its just to get a plain key w/out remote. Does anyone have any experience with this? Shouldn't I just be able to give Honda the VIN and get a key in the mail?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

JimBlake 03-25-2010 06:44 AM

Well, whatever you buy, you'll have to pay for it somehow...

The big plastic part contains the remote for locking/unlocking the doors. There's also an RFID chip in there for the immobilizer. If that immobilizer chip is OK, then you can replace the case & lock transmitter, transfer your RFID chip & put it all together with the metal skeleton with the physical key.

Here's a procedure for adding remotes to the system. (Say you bought the plastic shell & lock transmitter from ebay or something lke that.) But this doesn't change the immobilizer.

1) Unlock Doors
2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
6) Press lock or unlock
7) Turn key to off position
8) on position
9) lock or unlock
10) off position
11) on position
12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:
13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.

rwall 03-25-2010 11:40 AM

Thanks, Jim. That's very helpful.

rwall 04-03-2010 05:08 PM

OK, I finally solved my problem. I took Jim's advice and ordered just a blank key shell from ebay for only $7 including shipping. I transferred the remote and the RF chip from my old shell and took the new key along with my second original key to a locksmith who had the right equipment. He charged me $28 to cut the new key. If anyone is going to do this, please know you need to find the right locksmith with the equipment - standard key cutting machines at the hardware store won't do it. So, for less than $40, I was able to get my key replaced.

What really ticks me off is that the dealer refused to cut my key without charging a $50 "reprogramming" fee. When I explained to the service tech that I had already transferred the RF chip to the new shell, he told me that they'd still have to reprogram the key as there is a second chip in the metal of the key itself! What complete BS! Plus, I'd have to make an appointment to bring my car in to the dealer.

Not to go on a complete rant, but this was the same dealership where my wife was told by a salesman that haggling over the price of a car was "bad karma"! No wonder dealerships have such poor reputations. It just reinforces my desire to work around them whenever possible.

deserthonda 04-03-2010 05:17 PM

Jim ,,you should move the procedure to the DIY section ..

JimBlake 04-03-2010 10:39 PM

Well, if your immobilizer chip had been damaged or lost, THEN you would have needed reprogramming for your car to accept a new chip.

zenrider 06-06-2015 08:45 PM

Lowe's cut me a new key and programmed it for $30

redbull-1 06-07-2015 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by zenrider (Post 360536)
Lowe's cut me a new key and programmed it for $30

A 2004 Accord Immobilizer system is different than your 2000 Accord Immobilizer system (based on your other post about your car), the 2004 Accord immobilizer chip cannot be done at Lowes.

ciscoxo 06-12-2017 04:14 PM

how would i get the chip out to switch to a new remote

redbull-1 06-12-2017 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ciscoxo (Post 375593)
how would i get the chip out to switch to a new remote

For your 2004 Accord, see this thread and link:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...lip-key-37808/