DIY Answers. This section is for the staff of HAF to post detailed DIYs in response to the requests by the members.

2003 Accord EX move immobilizer into a Flip key

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Default 2003 Accord EX move immobilizer into a Flip key

Hi, I recently got a flip key replacement shell for my 03 Accord EX. I wanted to use my 1 and only key I got with the car to throw into the shell, so I came to the closest dealer that did free cutting. When I got there, he said the immobilizer chip on my key is not removable. I'm pretty sure there's some way to do this, but I don't know how, so now I'm sitting in the library nearby trying to figure this out before heading home. How can I get this immobilizer chip out without damaging it?

cgi. ebay. com/ ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310289469904&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1244wt_939 for the key shell

PICS:

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-30-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: can't have an active link to ebay
Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Check first to make sure the switchblade key blank fits in the door lock and key ignition, some of the ebay key blanks are too thick.

Here is a link to how to remove the chip. You are taking some risk if this is your only working key, as there have been reports of it not fully working upon swapping over.

driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37545

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Check first to make sure the switchblade key blank fits in the door lock and key ignition, some of the ebay key blanks are too thick.

Here is a link to how to remove the chip. You are taking some risk if this is your only working key, as there have been reports of it not fully working upon swapping over.

driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37545
Thanks, I went back to the dealer and had him cut it anyways, just to get it for a spare key (incase I lock the keys in the car, like I did on 4th of july)

I tested it in my ignition, trunk and glovebox, it fits in all of them, I tried to start the engine, which of course didn't turn start it, but when I put my oem key next to the ignition with the aftermarket in, held very closely the immobilizer chip with the new key DOES work!

And thanks so much for the link, I don't know how I didn't find it (I searched for a while) but I'm going to risk it

Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM

It worked!

Thanks man for the link, really helped me out! I didn't damage my original key too much, could switch back to it if this one ever breaks someday.

Obviously there's been posts about this, but if you want some advice on getting the immobilizer out, in the link above someone talks about cutting the corners of the 2 exposed corners with an exacto, which is what worked for me. Remove the glue with the knife (it has glue on all 4 walls of the holder, then use a small flathead screwdriver to remove it.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Samzebian
... in the link above someone talks about cutting the corners of the 2 exposed corners with an exacto, which is what worked for me...
You mean that link to driveaccord?

Anyway, this looks like pretty useful so I'm gonna move it into the DIY area.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You mean that link to driveaccord?

Anyway, this looks like pretty useful so I'm gonna move it into the DIY area.
yea, the link from driveaccord. I didn't even realize this was HAF (I switch between both of 'em so often), so I guess it's a good thing this will be in the DIY area.

BTW I've been using the key for days and my friends think it's so awesome that this works for more than just Audi keys. I can't wait to go back to that dealer in Northampton and show him it actually worked!

Next thing I'm planning on doing is replacing the remote chip with a new one from a replacement ebay key that looks like an oem key, then this'll look brand new.