General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Immobilizer Key Keeps Blinking....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Default Green Immobilizer Key Keeps Blinking....

Sup Everyone,

I have been having this problem intermitently for a few months now on my 2000 accord ex v6. The green immobilizer key on the dashboard keeps blinking which is preventing my car from starting. Initially i thought it was the alarm due to the reason that it has a remote start. However when i disabled the alarm the immobilizer light kept blinking. Then i thought it was the battery. I took the battery and had it tested at both RS Strauss and Pep Boys. Both confirmed the battery was no good. For a moment i thought this was the reason the immobilizer light kept blinking. I ran to sears and picked up a gold die hard battery and installed it. Still same problem! I tried three different keys just to make sure it wasnt a bad key but the light still keeps blinking. The car was starting up fine for a while then the problem occured two weeks ago after a bad snow storm in which the car sat for two weeks. After the snow storm i gave the car a boost and it turned on without a problem. Each morning for a week I would turn on the car in the morning just to make sure it started. Then this weekend we had a bad rain storm which lasted for three days and the problem re-occured. The light would not stop blinking. I feel this is the main reason my car does not start, My question now is what causes this light to blink, besides faulty keys or battery which we ruled out?

I thought maybe the main relay as i heard these cars suffer from that but would a bad main relay cause the immobilizer light to blink?

Has anyone ever had their immobilizer light keep blinking?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, the green light keeps blinking when the key is in the II position means that the immobilizer is not recognizing the key.

Stop by an auto parts store and have them scan for code(s). Post any code(s) found on here. They start with the letter P and have 4 digits.

You can get a 98-02 shop manual from the online manuals thread in the DIY section. The spoon link I posted has the shop manual as an .iso file. Burn that file to a CD to use it.

I would clean and tighten the grounds that correspond to that system (202, 302, and 551). The 202/302 are in the engine bay near the hinge on both sides of the bay. See pages 23A11 and 23A12 in that shop manual. G551 is on page 23A16. Not quite sure how to get to that one.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 AM

Dont i need a check engine light in order for the scanner to pick up a code? I tried to do something like this previously and wasnt able to pick up a code because i didnt have a check engine light.

I'll download the shop manual. Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Some error codes don't cause the CEL to come on. But don't hold your breath... I think trying to start with a non-recognized key is NOT something that would cause a CEL nor store any code. But it won't hurt to check.

The RFID antenna for the immobilizer (#17) is around the key cylinder in the steering column. Look for loose/dirty/corroded connections.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 PM

So i tried to tap on the main relay because i heard if the relay is bad sometimes this will allow the car to start. However when i turn the ignition the car is completely dead. The battery appears as if its completely drained. This is a brand new Die Hard Battery i purchased less than a week ago. When i turn the ignition switch the dashboard flickers then dies. Im at the end of my wits. Can someone offer some advice?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

The immobilizer won't keep the starter motor from cranking the engine. So this sounds like bad connections at the battery (or the other ends of the battery cables).

Old 05-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Anyone figure anything out on this one? Im having the same problem on my 98 accord with the 4 cyl. IS there any way to bypass this stupid security system? Its for a race car anyways so obviuosly i dont need it.
thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

The immobilizer is in the ECU, so it's not real easy to disable. 1998 steering column with the immobilizer antenna should be about the same as the 2000 picture above. All you gotta do it keep a key (from the car where the ECU came from) within a few inches of the antenna.

But I'm confused... Same problem meaning the starter won't crank the engine? The immobilizer won't prevent the starter from running.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Sup guys,

Im still having the same problem. I recently found out that my car has a parasitic draw. I guess my question is, could a parasitic Drain cause the Green Immobilizer Key to Keep Blinking if the car sits for a couple of days?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

I would have the battery/alternator/starter tested at a parts store. I am not sure what a dead battery will do to the ECU and the immobilizer system.