General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord ex has check engine that keeps blinking, maybe short to ground for ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Default 94 accord ex has check engine that keeps blinking, maybe short to ground for ecu?

i've got a 94 accord, for a while I had the check engine light on but it would not give me any codes when I would jump the data link connector. I took it to a mechanic and he told that the ecu was short to ground. He tested that by cutting one of the wires that would give him codes and was able to retrieve them bypassing the data link connector. He said follow the wire he cut (light green/red), because somewhere along the way its short to ground because he bypassed the dlc. I took apart the glove box, and passenger air bag, and didn't see any open wires or possible shorts. now when i put it all back together, its started blinking me a code 21(vtec solenoid) even though im not jumping the Data link Connector. I pulled the 15amp fuse, and pulled the battery to see if my ecu would reset. As soon as i put the keys in the ON position the code starting blinking right away, i didn't even have to drive for it to relearn it self. im afraid if i replace the solenoid, the code may still be blinking because of the short. any opinions?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

So did you re-connect the wire that your mechanic cut?

Besides visual checking, you should measure continuity to ground, with the wire disconnected from the ECU. Trace it from there out to the DLC, isolating whatever you can & re-testing continuity to ground.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM

he reconnected the wire he cut. Maybe i can replace the wire completely and stop using the one he reconnected?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, you could do that. The other terminal in the SCS (or DLC) connector is just ground.