Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

Timing Belt Tensioner Installation Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 AM
ritziy
Unregistered

Excellent post Texas Honda! It looks like there is no reasonable source for Honda starter parts so other than cleaning it time for a rebuilt.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Thank you for posting this TexasHonda (and thanks for the heads up on the post, PAhonda). I got my timing belt changed by my mechanic last month, and since then there has been a slight whirring noise and the engine has felt less responsive. I took it back in to him, he went in and didn't find anything. I am not a DIYer and I'm wondering if this is something my mechanic could have missed (he isn't a Honda or import specific guy, but he has always been good in the past).

I'm also trying to figure out how serious it is and whether I should take it back to the guy or take the car to the dealership to have it looked at, or just live with it.

How do I access the picture by GaryL that you referenced?

Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Could your mechanic have missed this? Yes, particularly if he only removed the upper timing belt cover and observed belt tension manually. Belt tension may be OK. I think noise may arise from belt misalignment on the tensioner idler.

I suspect pics are peeled out of all old posts to reduce storage size. PM your email address and I'll forward the pics. They are a bit too large to post in this forum.

good luck

Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM

I have this noise on my starter now as well on my new accord. I've heard others do it, my last one never did. But this accord has a new starter in it and possibly its defective. It doesn't always do it, seems like you have to let off the key very quickly and then it won't do it.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fix is to remove the starter and lubricate the shaft the pinion gear slides on to engage the flywheel ring gear.

good luck

Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Fix is to remove the starter and lubricate the shaft the pinion gear slides on to engage the flywheel ring gear.

good luck
Bummer, this starter is sortof a pain. But will do it. Thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Default TB tensioner stud

New member. Your post helped us tremendously. 94 Accord has 315K miles on it. Timing belt changed only once before. The one we took off looked like new but we're changing it to prevent changing the whole engine right? Well the stud you spoke of for the inner tensioner was broke off apparently on the first TB change. After careful analysis we decided to drill a hole where the stud was. Then cut 4 horizontal lines on a bolt to act as a tap. We worked the bolt in with some oil then put some lock tight on, and then hack sawed the head off leaving a new "stud". Worked great. You need this stud so the spring can place the correct tension on the tensioner. Pros change in 3.6 hrs. Our learning curve took 3 days!

Attached Thumbnails  Timing Belt Tensioner Installation Warning-image.jpg  

Last edited by Consonar; 03-14-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Typo, add pic
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Wow..

Old 02-10-2020, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Consonar
New member. Your post helped us tremendously. 94 Accord has 315K miles on it. Timing belt changed only once before. The one we took off looked like new but we're changing it to prevent changing the whole engine right? Well the stud you spoke of for the inner tensioner was broke off apparently on the first TB change. After careful analysis we decided to drill a hole where the stud was. Then cut 4 horizontal lines on a bolt to act as a tap. We worked the bolt in with some oil then put some lock tight on, and then hack sawed the head off leaving a new "stud". Worked great. You need this stud so the spring can place the correct tension on the tensioner. Pros change in 3.6 hrs. Our learning curve took 3 days!

Can you give me some details on your repair of the broken pivot piece and how you fixxed it? I'm dealing with the same issue right now and have been trying to come up with a solution all night with no luck. I thought about drilling a hole and putting some kind of a bolt or something in it I was just unsure about how far I could drill into the engine right there and how far I would need to have the bolt into the hole for it to hold up after the tensioner is back on it

Old 05-21-2020, 05:25 PM

What year model of Accord does this issue affect?