Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   03 Accord V6 engine replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/03-accord-v6-engine-replacement-51887/)

byuboi 12-16-2012 10:53 AM

03 Accord V6 engine replacement

Hello all, I'm a new member here and I have a situation I've been trying to solve for quite some time now. I apologize if there is something out there like this already. The situation is as follows:

I have an 03 accord V6 manual and the engine has failed on me. According to the Honda dealership, the engine is seized and is unable to be turned manually therefore I need to replace the engine. They told me it'd be $3,500 and I said bump that I'll do it myself. The car has 108,000 miles on it. The car wont start and according to a couple of other mechanics the ECU was going bad which leads me to believe that may also have had an effect on the engine problem.

That being said I figured I might as well just do an engine swap. From the research I've gathered I decided I'd try to swap with the Acura TL (04-08) engine considering people have said that it'd fit with no modifications.

I'm not a car guru and so I'm still learning a lot as well as doing research, therefore I want to be 100% sure of what I'm getting into with this project. My biggest concern is if I'd have to buy an ECU to match the Acura engine, would I need to get it tuned, and if there is anything else I should replace in the process?

On a side note, I love my honda and I'd love to turn it into a nice sleeper. It's currently stock with the exception of a AEM V2 CAI... Thanks in Advance!

TexasHonda 12-16-2012 03:37 PM

Suggest purchasing the exact engine you are replacing to avoid any possibility of surprises.

Check car-part.com and ebay for used engines.

good luck

byuboi 12-16-2012 06:34 PM

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. So you don't think it'd be a good idea to shoot for a swap? what would you suggest in regards to improving my performance if not by means of an engine swap?

shipo 12-16-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by byuboi (Post 305467)
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. So you don't think it'd be a good idea to shoot for a swap? what would you suggest in regards to improving my performance if not by means of an engine swap?

The best/cheapest way to improve the performance of your car is to sell it and buy a faster car.

byuboi 12-17-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 305471)
The best/cheapest way to improve the performance of your car is to sell it and buy a faster car.

If I wanted to go that route I would have done so prior to purchasing the car I currently have. I purchased this year and model with a specific purpose in mind and the best/cheapest way is irrelevant, therefore your response doesn't help me in the least, but thank you I do appreciate your input.

byuboi 12-17-2012 03:59 PM

I have access to tools and a shop in which to work on my car. I am not looking for the cheapest way, I'm looking for someone who has information regarding improving the performance of my vehicle. TexasHonda has given me a safer option which I acknowledged, does anyone have any other options or ideas not involving selling my vehicle or keeping the stock parts currently available?