Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'11 Accord - 177hp and upward?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 PM

Try getting a decent header it will gain at least a few more ponies.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM

The tune would void a warranty but any mods that are installed will not void a vehicle warranty.

It's called magnuson moss act

Dealer has to prove you mod directly caused the failure of the engine component in question

Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tek310
The tune would void a warranty but any mods that are installed will not void a vehicle warranty.

It's called magnuson moss act

Dealer has to prove you mod directly caused the failure of the engine component in question
The problem with the Magnuson Moss Act is if the part can be proven to be the cause of a problem (not that far fetched) the warranty can be voided. The easiest way for them to do this is to claim that you did the install yourself and did it incorrectly. So if you insist on doing mods have an ASE certified tech, or better yet a Honda tech, do the work, that way it's easier to say the job was done right, otherwise get ready to waste time and money in court trying to prove that you did your install perfectly and still had a part fail. Plus they always have the cop out of saying you were doing mods with the intent of racing etc. and it's not what the car was made for so the warranty is voided. The Magnuson Moss Act is really just a bunch of hooey.

Also consider insurance, I've heard stories about insurance companies claiming that an aftermarket part lowers the value of a brand new vehicle. Call your insurance and ask them about this before you proceed as well.

In the end I'd stick with basic mods under warranty, if any, because I don't like big 'ol legal hassles

Edit: Really, just call the dealer and ask what you can and can't do. It varies from place to place, some are cool, some are strict. Maybe you'll get lucky, maybe you'll get the shaft! Not worth the risk with a brand new car. Maybe once the warranty is running out I'd go for it, but voiding it this early would be very bad.

Last edited by Peli; 09-22-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Good Post Peli

Originally Posted by Peli
The problem with the Magnuson Moss Act is if the part can be proven to be the cause of a problem (not that far fetched) the warranty can be voided. The easiest way for them to do this is to claim that you did the install yourself and did it incorrectly. So if you insist on doing mods have an ASE certified tech, or better yet a Honda tech, do the work, that way it's easier to say the job was done right, otherwise get ready to waste time and money in court trying to prove that you did your install perfectly and still had a part fail. Plus they always have the cop out of saying you were doing mods with the intent of racing etc. and it's not what the car was made for so the warranty is voided. The Magnuson Moss Act is really just a bunch of hooey.

Also consider insurance, I've heard stories about insurance companies claiming that an aftermarket part lowers the value of a brand new vehicle. Call your insurance and ask them about this before you proceed as well.

In the end I'd stick with basic mods under warranty, if any, because I don't like big 'ol legal hassles

Edit: Really, just call the dealer and ask what you can and can't do. It varies from place to place, some are cool, some are strict. Maybe you'll get lucky, maybe you'll get the shaft! Not worth the risk with a brand new car. Maybe once the warranty is running out I'd go for it, but voiding it this early would be very bad.
Good wise suggestion for the member to go with..makes much sense to me..check with the dealer before you get caught and have legal problems...

Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the input. Interestingly, if someone does something to "void" the warranty, does it just void the manufacturer's responsibility to replace that one part - ie, so if I install a CAI for example (and for the purposes of this conversation let's assume it "impacts" the warranty to the tune of voiding it), and I took the car in for a rear end suspension problem. They find the CAI, says uh-oh, but do I have the defense of saying that there's no causality between the CAI and my suspension warranty claim?

Not that I intend to do much, but if I put a few in there and push the envelope a bit I'd like to know whether it relieves the manufacturer from honoring the entire warranty contract, or do they have to problem causation between the source of the void and the warranty claim itself ...

Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Thanks for the input. Interestingly, if someone does something to "void" the warranty, does it just void the manufacturer's responsibility to replace that one part - ie, so if I install a CAI for example (and for the purposes of this conversation let's assume it "impacts" the warranty to the tune of voiding it), and I took the car in for a rear end suspension problem. They find the CAI, says uh-oh, but do I have the defense of saying that there's no causality between the CAI and my suspension warranty claim?

Not that I intend to do much, but if I put a few in there and push the envelope a bit I'd like to know whether it relieves the manufacturer from honoring the entire warranty contract, or do they have to problem causation between the source of the void and the warranty claim itself ...
Technically they can only claim that the warranty is voided on that specific part, but as I said earlier there is a chance that they will say your mods were clearly done to exceed what the stock parts could handle and that is why another part (say a strut) broke and it is now your responsibility. They can get away with a lot

Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 AM

this is all just rubbish..

a dealer is NOT going to cut your VEHICLE warranty for simple bolt on mods... plain and simple.

if your engine fails, a insurance adjuster comes in and does a VERY thorough analysis of engine oil and ecu readings along with associated parts in question.

they can not and will not deny you work on your car for simple mods.

this dealer crap is played up from the past. this is a new day and age boys n girls.

call your dealer i am 100% sure of this. i have instructors at school who have been in the business for 20+ years who back this up.

nuff said

Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tek310
this is all just rubbish..

a dealer is NOT going to cut your VEHICLE warranty for simple bolt on mods... plain and simple.

if your engine fails, a insurance adjuster comes in and does a VERY thorough analysis of engine oil and ecu readings along with associated parts in question.

they can not and will not deny you work on your car for simple mods.

this dealer crap is played up from the past. this is a new day and age boys n girls.

call your dealer i am 100% sure of this. i have instructors at school who have been in the business for 20+ years who back this up.

nuff said
The days of dealers denying warranties over mods and getting away with it are far from over.

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

"Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law."

I guarantee the dealer will be able to provide more "factual" evidence in this portion of your potential court proceedings than you can, unless you decide to hire an expert of your own to research it. I put factual in quotes because their information may not technically be true but will likely be accepted as fact because they have expert opinions. It's not going to be the Magnusson Moss Act that is argued so much as the fact that your part is the cause of the failure.

Chances are if you haven't let your insurance know about your mods past the basics they're not going to to cover it either. For some mods they will want to raise your insurance, and if you don't report those they won't take kindly to it. Insurance appraisers are almost as bad as dealers when it comes to giving you as little as they possibly can.

Dealers didn't suddenly become nice when the MMA was passed and 1975 wasn't the last year that a warranty was denied over modifications.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM

think what you want, im in contact with technicians and people who have real world experience daily. i hear and witness things like this, because its what i go to school for.

i do have a story where the dealer denied engine replacement.

more specificly it was ford.

turbo diesel f-350

they put a drop in k&n filter. the turbo failed and sucked in parts destroying the engine.

dealer analyzed the oil and denied replacement because of the dirt intake through the aftermarket filter, which caused turbine failure.

modding your car lowers the overall life of the engine and adds stresses that were not present.

if you want to mod your car be ready to take responsibility for the extra maintenance.

as stated again just because your car is modded, the dealer WILL NOT cut off your warranty. if your transmission fails a thorough investigation will be made(even if your car is not modded) and the decision will be made on factual evidence.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I imagine that most of the time the it's be OK. But there's sure to be the occasional denial of warranty, and that's what everyone posts on boards like this. Most likely it's OK but be aware of it.