Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

12,500 miles on syn. oil FYI

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Default 12,500 miles on syn. oil FYI

Hi, just wanted to let you know, went 12,500 miles on Mobil 1 extended performance synthetic oil with one filter change at 6,000 miles and when changing the oil at 12,500 could barely touch the filter and the filler cap they where so hot to the touch, usaully change the oil and filter at 6,000 miles and there is no problem touching the filler cap and filter. Does anyone know if that could of damaged something? It is a 95 Accord four cylinder V-Tech with 193,000 miles. Sent it to get tested but regardless of the results don't think I will go that long again between changes.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Supper Moderator

dude you need to change your oil every 3,000 miles. You haver close to 200k your engine you NEED to change you oil every 3k no joke...byw it's vtec on vtech...vtech is a brand of house phone.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM

ahh, don't think so, every 6,000 miles is o.k, might have the oil checked at 6,000. Think every 3,000 or three months is from the seventies and the more times you get your oil changed the more money they make. Could be wrong but take the chance.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Supper Moderator

well you can do what you want. Iv had many many honda engines in my cb7s engine bay. 3k miles especially since your pushing close to 200k...but hey what do I know...your car you do what you want.
Also has nothing to do with money…I do oil change for 15bucks. Not all the much money bro..but like I said what do I know…it’s only from experience

search for my post...I do know my stuff when it comes to engines

Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Supper Moderator

also synthetic oil is a total wast of money unless your boosted and need it...maybe thats why it's "more money they make" off of you.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

G22, ever get your used oil analyzed? It might surprise you...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Supper Moderator

yeah...then I found out I had a spun rod bearing and that was after waiting 7k to do a oil change...never ever ever again...if the oil coming off the dip stick can't spread from finger to finger when I press my fingers 2geather and spread apart then I don’t trust the oil in my engine...this is why...if the oil can spread from finger to finger then how is it acting in my engine? Valves move up and down just like my fingers do when I do this test. If the oil can’t hang one to both of my finger spread apart less than a inch then the oil TO ME isn’t good enough to protect my engine internals. This is a old school trick I have learned from old timers. Take you dip stick run you thumb and pointer finger on the stick to get your fingers oily. Then spread them apart less than a inch and do it as fast as you can...if you can see a stream of oil from one finger to the other WITH OUT breaking the oil stream the the oil is still good....if not time for a oil change. Think about it..your fingers aren’t moving at a fraction of the speed your engine is...When you can’t get that stream of oil between your fingers while trying this test your dew for a oil change.
Oil is also detergent…there to keep your internals somewhat clean. The longer your go with out a oil change the more gunk builds up inside the engine. But that’s jus me…yall do what you want with your engines.

Last edited by g22cd5; 09-14-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't recommended going extra-long oil changes until AFTER an analysis says it's OK. Obviously I don't know what happened with your engine, but maybe if you got oil analysis at 3k miles it would have told you not to go much farther. Then you'd know how long is good for YOUR engine, YOUR choice of oil, and YOUR driving habits.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Default Was wrong, it's still good :)

The oil still has some life in it, 12,500 it is with one filter change! FYI at your own risk though! Hey it's a Honda! Everything is within tolerances except for copper and silicon and viscosity is within reason for the miles and the stated values for that motor, no antifreeze, no water and fuel in the oil is very low for the stated value that is acceptable. Once a year or 12,500 miles it is. At the end of the report they wrote, nice engine!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Silicon can be from dust getting past your air filter.

Seems like copper has to come from a bearing??

Quick Reply: 12,500 miles on syn. oil FYI