Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

175K on 03 V6 Accord what have I missed to keep it in good running shape

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Default 175K on 03 V6 Accord what have I missed to keep it in good running shape

I have a great 03 V6 accord with 175k on it. I drive about 160 miles a day.
So far I have done the timing belt, serp belt and water pump service at the dealership twice.
Flushed the radiator once. Changed the Tansmission fluid a few times, don't remember the exacts.
Oil changes every 5k or less with standard oil.
I have used Regaine and others like it recomended here (not STP) once in a while.
I have a K&N air filter that gets cleaned about once a year.
Brakes pads and rotors replaced once.
Cabin filter replaced.

From reading through here I probably should have my brake fluid drained and refilled. Should I flush the oil and if so how?
I have read about seafoam and other stuff like it, but I do not know if I am up to something like that myself.
I am good with tools, but can't tell you a brake line from a gas line, from a vaccum line. If there are good directions I might try it.

Is there anything I should be doing that I missed to keep it in good running condition?
Please keep in mind I am no car buff, but I am not completely helpless either. I am at a basic level of understanding, but learn quickly.
I have limited ability to work on my car myself as I am in a condo that allows day work (quick maintenence stuff) only on your car in the lot.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Default RE: 175K on 03 V6 Accord what have I missed to keep it in good running shape

Sounds like you have been keeping up the maintenance pretty well.
many may recommend a brake fluid change and power steering fluid change simply because fluid can't last forver. if I were you though I would probably just suck out old fluid with a turkey baster and replace with new fluid. (be careful with the brake fluid though - it will takepaint off) After you do that a few times the fluid should be pretty clean.
Do you have your owner's manual by any chance? The recommended service intervals should be in there. if you can't find it, there are links to free ones in the DIY section.
Welsome to the forum!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 175K on 03 V6 Accord what have I missed to keep it in good running shape

The turkey basterdoesn't really work so well for brake fluid since it doesn't circulate. The stuff in the lines & in the caliipers is still old.

You have to bleed the brakes, to remove all air from the system. It's not a simple drain & fill operation.

As far as using any kind of flushing stuff with the oil, I'd only do that if needed. How quickly does your oil get dirty? Take off a valve cover & look for crud & sludge. Better yet, next time you change oil, take a coathanger bent into a hook or loop. Stick into the oil drain hole & scrape it around the bottom of the oil pan. You don't want to find any muddy thick stuff. Dark color is OK, but mud &tiny chunks of carbonisn't.